Veddeldeddel
Hey there,
I have a dress that is 96 % Polyester and 4 % Spandex (it's a twobirds dress in dusty blue). I'd obviously like to keep the spandex' elasticity but keep reading that in order to successfully dye polyester quite high temperatures are needed. What do you recommend for that?

About the colour: my dusty blue dress turned out to be quite shiny and more of a baby blue. I'd like it to be either closer to the "dusty blue" pictured thus slightly darker/greyish shade and matt/less shiny or, also fine, a (multi-compatible) nice darker blue. Do you have recommendations for that?
Thanks a lot!
Nora
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI,

Sheen on the dress might make a matte appearance impossible. Usually, the shininess is due to the way the fiber was brushed and not the dye itself.  

There is more than one way to do this.  To darken and dull the color I might recommend 1/4 of a gunmetal grey packet.  You could also use a half teaspoon of orange to dull the baby blue.  

Our blue color is just a blue.  It looks similar to the facebook blue button below.  It is not pastel it can be rather deep.  You could combine the gunmetal grey and blue to get more blue but also darken and dull it. 

The thing to do about the spandex is try not to spend more than 20-25 min in the bath.  The longest time in the bath will surely damage the spandex if you dye for the full hour.  So, it might be better to overdoes your bath with dye and just dye for a short period.  I would use the dye intensifier because it helps get the color more even.  I have done 20-25 min fine with elastane and spandex without damaging.  I have also damaged for boiling it for an hour.  

That picture didn't post, so if you want better color advice try to post it again or a link.   
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
Hi
Here’s my two cents. I have dyed poly stretch velvet with idye poly for several years. Originally worried about losing the stretch of the velvet but that has never been a problem. The velvet takes up the dye fast and I have found I get good coverage and fastness with 5-10 min. 
The blue is pretty stark. I mix with slight amt black to get a wedge wood blue which is pleasant and you might find it dusty. 
Good luck. Dianne
Quote 0 0
Veddeldeddel
Hi, sorry about the late reply and thank you for the helpful answers! I'll attach some pictures now: the light and shiny colour is what I got, the second picture with the long dress shows what I expected from the photos.
Quote 0 0
Veddeldeddel
And here are 2 more alternatives that I was also considering when purchasing so if the above version isn't really possible something like this would also be fine.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The first set of pictures looks like you want the the silver grey.  Gunmetal would be more bluish grey.

The second set look like you dyed with normal iDye poly blue.  Maybe with 1/4 gun metal to dull lit down a bit. 
Quote 0 0