MarsFeeney MarsFeeney Show full post »
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
@dlynne you are likely to have some of the colors visible after you overdye them. The acid dye black at 180 degrees on the stove is going to give you the best black, but the purple stripe of the rainbow is likely to be darker than the yellow stripe. Does that make sense? Dyes are all transparent and mix so you can see every shade. Black is going to cover better and be less affected by the other colors than brown.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
@IMWheeler synthetic leather can be difficult to color. There are many potential ways to do this. Paint is the easiest to use, but may not hold up well especially on something like gloves that get a lot of friction. I think for that reason, I would try IDYE poly. The violet would give you the color you want. How would the gloves hold up to boiling?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
@jillann the discharge paste is very stable, so it should be ok. The best thing to do is test it on a small part of the fabric that won't be visible to see if it will work on that color. As we know, discharge paste does not work on every color and in this age of pigmented dyes(not dischargeable) testing is absolutely necessary.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Just some thoughts about recent experiments I have had with with color remover. The color remover performs much better if you add 2-4 tablespoons of soda ash in with it when you heat. I can get a much better white that way.

Speaking of the soda ash, that can also be used to lighten(but not eliminate) the poly dyes. The normal color remover has little effect, but boiling the polyester with some Soda ash can lighten it a few shades.
Quote 0 0
indigotami indigotami
I was using the procion mx dyes in turquoise and lemon yellow to create a mint color. Unfortunately I went too heavy on the yellow. I know that color remover won't take out the turqouise, but can I use it to remove some of the yellow?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes that should work. You might be a little surprised. I have been seeing the turquoise come out more than I expected it would. It should be pretty stable, but you will lose at least a little turquoise.
Quote 0 0