AnnaKat
What would I mix the powdered pigments with to use in an acrylic pour? I can’t use what’s recommended for the ColourArte powders because they’re too expensive. From what I’ve read, I could use GAC100 and Floetrol? I know they have a good deal of transparency but that’s not an issue. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes you can absolutely use those products.  Any pouring medium will work really well.  It all becomes transparent when dry, so while it may not look as good when you pour, it should turn clear as it dries and look great. 
Quote 0 0
AnnaKat
I asked another question before this after your reply but have since read another curious post from 2015 talking about adding PearlEx to wall paint and the answer was related to using an untinted base. In the pouring community, we have this “bloom” technique that only speaks to Primary Colors BUT...
Basically, the mica is dissolved into a tiny bit of Clear Gloss WATER based  Polycrylic and mixed into a paste. That is then mixed into a 2:1 blend of high gloss untinted interior house paint base😋olycrylic. The rest is for a cell activator so not relevant to me right now.h Note MinWax now makes a water based OIL MODIFIED Polyurethane “with the convenience of a water-based finish. Lower odor than other solvent-based polyurethanes.”
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Interesting
Quote 0 0
AnnaKat

So I just did a bunch of experiments.
1. Powder, ModPodge w/water. FAIL. Wouldn’t dissolve. Floetrol for volume and body but no go. Gold.
2. Powder, glue w/water. FAIL. Better, but still wouldn’t fully dissolve. Same with Floetrol. Gold.
3. 2:1 untinted base to Polycrylic.. Dissolved in Poly, then added Floetrol and few drops of water for consistency. Getting there in dissultion but lightens color. Have to see how it dries. Everything that’s white dries clear (except untinted base?) so unfair to judge color when wet. Blue.
4. Powder dissolved in Polycrylic then Floetrol. Few drops of water for consistency. Dissolved nicely in Polycrylic. Red
5. Powder, regular Polycrylic to dissolve then tsp each of glue, GAC100, 2 tsp soft gloss gel, Floetrol. Beautiful. Made a lavender out of red and blue.

Poured a stripe of each as is on one small canvas. Poured the rest in a ring pour on a bad canvas. What the hell added in the cup the untinted mix to see what it would do. Right now, kind of took over and made a lovely cloud effect. On the ring, hit it with torch and got quite a few cells. #5 showed promise (lot of ingredients - will have to see what’s absolutely necessary. But it’s such a tiny bit per color, but may have to use extra pigment. Still have Liquitex Pouring Medium and variations of, have a medium and extra heavy gel, white satin enamel, don’t want dilute color more with white paint. We’ll see tomorrow morning!

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Post pictures if you can.  We would love to see the different results.  
Quote 0 0
AnnaKat
Came out “eh.” Did a different test today and got completely different results. Think I will redo test after it dries and video it. That would be easier.
Quote 0 0
AnnaKat

There is a video I found accidentally. I’m going to do mine tomorrow hopefully but I’m going to use different mediums and use either a white wet base or no base. I’ve never seen anyone really use their medium as a base. So FYI...

There’s a part 1, but she mentions those mediums and shows the results at the end of this video.

Quote 0 0