lvakq
Hello, I have never used dyes or paints before on fabric and would love a bit of help from anyone who has!

I am planning to make a dress out of very lightweight, very smooth wool (pretty much the opposite of what the average person will picture when they hear the word wool -- it has a feel closer to shirting cotton than the wool you'd use for a wool coat). The colour is ivory, and I would like to paint some rough strokes suggestive of flowers/branches in black, red, orange, yellow. I made a mock up out of cheap cotton with a photo below so that you can see what the idea is. The end result does not need to look exactly like that of course (the draft was made with watercolours and graphite...), but I'm looking to achieve a similar aesthetic.

I'm a little overwhelmed with options -- there seem to be various paint options (I assume I'd want either Textile Color or Neopaque), or alternatively dyes because they fully immerse into the fabric (Dye-Na-Flow for instance?). Based on the photograph below & my attempt at describing the fabric, would anyone have any recommendations for what I should be aiming for?

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 19.12.49.png
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Is it white?  I would use textile color for any sharp lines you want.  It is going to feel the softest and look the best.  Seeing the watercolor, makes me think you might want to try some dye na flow.  Dye na flow is like water color for fabric, so you get more impressionistic strokes because the color bleeds.  

These 2 are your best choices.  Dye na flwo has no body at all and is like painting with water, textile color is like a traditional heavy body water color.  I would avoid neopaque unless it is dark wool.  The neopaque will cover better, but has more texture than either textile or dye na flow.  
Quote 0 0
lvakq

Thank you for the reply! The fabric is ivory/cream coloured so I will avoid neopaque. So the Dye Na Flow will spread through the fabric like water would, essentially? Could one dilute the Textile Color instead, so that it is less opaque whilst retaining some consistency? (I am a little concerned over the lack of control I will have over the Dye Na Flow, from your description)
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yeah the Dye na flow is much beloved, but it not always easy to control.  Some people use resists to do so like our water-based resist.  

You can absolutely thin out the textile color.  I would not add more than 20% water as you might start compromising the adhesion. Heat set by ironing every area on highest possible setting for the fiber for 30 seconds each area once completely dry.   
Quote 0 0