Ttelehany
Greetings!  I need help with some issues I'm having when I try to make infinity roses using alcohol ink on ceramic tiles.  I had pretty good luck last winter, and they were turning out pretty well.  However, I'm having a lot of issues this summer.  I can't seem to get the infinity rings to show up, and the ink dries too quickly to make it to the center of the rose.  I've tried adding extra alcohol, but the inks seem to separate and cause really dark dots to show up at the edges of the petals.  I'm also getting droplets of water as it dries, which also mess up the color.  I've watched many videos, and tried everything I can think of...including mixing my 91% alcohol with blending solution, or extender, and trying to use a hair drier or heat gun, rather than my air brush.  The heat of the drier and heat gun heat up the tiles until it dries even more quickly.  I've heard that humidity can make it hard to get the infinity rings...so I've used my dehumidifier to lower the humidity to about 45%.  Should that be even lower?  Thanks for any help you can give me...I'm very frustrated.....
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The water spots are from water in your 91% alcohol.  

I suspect the dark spots are from precipitating dye when you add isopropyl alcohol. 

Our inks differ from other brands because they are Ethanol based.  The dye and binder are more soluble in ethanol than alcohol.  So, isopropyl can make the Blanco coagulate and darker colors are more likely to come out of solution and cause flecks of solid dye.  

Using clean up solution or denatured ethanol are the best way to use our inks.  they work with isopropyl to some extent, but it isn't the best choice.  

I know people just want to use rubbing alcohol, but the reason our inks are so rich and dark is the ethanol.  
Quote 0 0
Ttelehany
Thanks so much for the help!  I'm wondering now, if it will be alright if I try the ethanol with other brands of ink...there won't be any danger of doing that?  Also, should I look for the highest percentage of the ethanol that I can find?  Thanks again for the advice.....I LOVE your products!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes look for the highest percentage ethanol.  The good thing about ethanol is it is just stronger for all the inks.  Some of the blending solutions of other brands are ethanol, so it will work with anything
Quote 0 0