Marci
I understand the formulas for dye solutions and depth of shade, but I am unclear as to the amount of water I add per gram of wool yarn for immersion dyeing.  Is there an answer?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Notice that most dyeing instructions don't say how much water you should use.  For acid dyes it is even less necessary to do so. Why?

The answer is that the way acid dyes work is they are negatively charged dyes that are attracted to positive charges in the silk.  So, no matter how dilute the acid dye solution, somehow the dye finds the fiber because opposites attract. 

So the real answer is, that the amount of water really doesn't matter it is the ration of dye to fiber because the acid dyes will find that fiber like a magnet.  This is why in low concentration dyeings you get "exhaustion" where there is no color left at all and the water is clear at the end.  Conversely, if you always have dye left over in the water, you are using too much.  All the positive dye sites have been used up and the fiber cannot hold anymore color.  

So, too little water can mean that your wool or silk is too squished and dye can't access all areas and you will get an uneven dyeing.  Too much water, and the dye still finds its mark. 

Everything about the amount of water is about solubility of the dye, and ability of the fiber to move while it is being dyed.  It should be able to turn over easily.  
Quote 2 0