Melissa
Tried all purpose RIT dye, did not work.  May be a little darker, not much.  I could not find any labels in the covers.  I now believe the fabric is poly.  I have bought several packs of IDYE POLY Aqua since the original color is a light blue and I am hoping to darken it.  I have 7 bottom covers and 7 back covers.   However, I can't fit the covers into a pot on the stove.  I have recently purchased a metal trash can which I was thinking I could put charcoal around the bottom outside to heat up water inside.  That way I could put all of the covers in at once.  Has anyone ever tried this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Ok,  I have helped quite a few people with outdoor furniture that has faded.  It is always polyester, so it is difficult to dye due to the size and often the upholstery is not removable.  Boiling something like that is not easy for anyone.  It is really hard when it is an umbrella or something like that.  Your best bet here is actually dye na flow not the polyester dye.  You can paint the upholstery with a paint that has no touch to it, will never fade, and doesn't require any heat.  perfect.

What you do.  Get large bottles of dye na flow.  I don't know how many pieces you have, but you want at least a quart and maybe a gallon if you have a lot of furniture.  You also need airfix, which is our catalyst that will "heat set" the paint chemically.  Noramlly you would iron dye na flow, but that is impossible in this situation.  Airfix will make the dye na flow stick to the poly and be more durable long term. 

Add airfix at 3%, so for a quart that is  .96 oz that is half the 2oz bottle or one oz roughly.  For a whole gallon you need 2 little 2oz bottles of airfix or half the 8oz bottle.  Stir well and then apply to the furniture with a sponge or spongebrush.  It is going to go on smoothly and you won't see brush strokes.  Just apply the color evenly.  The airfix cures after 3 days, so I would suggest not sitting on it for 72 hrs after you paint.  Then it should be durable and most importantly fade proof!  It would not hurt to put some water proof coating over the top.  Like you would use on a tent or something like that. It would add another layer of protection for long term durability.  
Quote 0 0
Melissa
Thank you so much I am going to try this.  I did try dying the fabric with idye poly and have some beautifully dyed spots but not the whole cushion cover.  I also can not get the beautifully dyed spots to come out no matter how much I wash or put color remover on them.  I found a great big aluminum pan and stirred constantly for an hour.  I think perhaps my water was just not hot enough.  I used a hotplate outside due to the odor.
Quote 0 0