Audiate
Hi there, I'm looking for advice on what colors to mix to achieve an "army green" colour, for a white cotton T-shirt. I realize that "army green" is still quite a range, so attached is a photo of what I'm aiming for. It doesn't have to be this dark, but I like that this green is slightly on the blue side rather than yellow (which makes me look sickly, LOL).
ArmyGreen.jpg 

I did look up the color mixing chart but it only listed "olive" and didn't provide a photo! - and to me, olive sounds more yellowish.

Any advice appreciated... thanks!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I started to write a formula with my best guess, and then I decided to dye some Forest Green dark.  It turns out it is so close to this color.  It is maybe half a shade bluer? Maybe not at all. 

Just go with the Forest Green, you could always use a tiny amount of yellow or blue later to bump it one way or the other if you have to be exact exact.

Now there is a trick to getting dark color with Procion dye.  It's salt.  You have to add more than you think is a good idea.  

If you want a clean smooth immersion color with Procion dye in your case I would use the entire bottle which is a little over 2 tablespoons.

Put it in 3 gallons of warm water from the tap around body temp. A 5 gallon bucket works great for this.  If the fabric can move freely in the bath, size doesn't really matter.  You just want it to turn over easily.

Stir it up really good for a few min.  You can dip a paper towel in to see if you get any undissolved specks.  If it all looks even you are good to go.

Put the fabric in already wet.  Stir for 2 min straight.

Stirring well every couple of minutes add 1/3 cup per gallon Soda Ash.  For 3 gallons that's one cup.  

Stir stir stir for 3 min.  

Now the best thing to do is add 3 additions of salt, 1 cup each stirring a lot in between.  I am too lazy for this and usually dump it in to no ill effects.  You can also pre-dissolve in additional water.  For most even results stir in 1 cup every few  minutes.  Just don't leave it too long without stirring as you can see that is a theme.  Procion dye is a fantastic dye that should last the lifetime of the garment, be fairly light resistant, and never bleeds after you get the initial excess dye out.  It is not the most even dye if you leave it sitting there, you will see the folds in material(why its good for tie dye).  So make sure you stir and you will get great results.  

Dye up to an hour for darkest shades.  

For immersion dyeing like this, saltis the only way to get close to the dark intense colors of batching like you get with tie dye.  

Good luck!  Post pictures if you can.  We love to see the end result.  That goes for anyone reading.  
Quote 0 0
Audiate

Oh wow, thank you SO much, I really appreciate all the detailed instructions!

I don't need the colour to be exact, just NOT a yellowy green, so I'll definitely go with your Forest Green recommendation.

And I WILL post photos, although it may take a while, as my local stores seem to always be out of stock of the dye colours I want! ðŸ˜§ I guess everyone's getting around to those home projects these days... 😉

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I had a picture and it is so close to what you want.  It is dusty green that def has more blue in it.  I was going to post a pic of the dye, but my phone kept making it look almost teal, which wasn't accurate.  
Quote 1 0
Marjliff
The forest green is a great color. I made this last week... 7FF1B543-1EB1-4F02-95FD-2C5E3EA77F32.jpeg 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod

Yeah it really looks great.  Congrats.  That is my favorite style tie dye, I am wearing one right now.  Dyeing isn't that hard!

Quote 0 0
Audiate
Thanks for posting that, Marjliff!
Quote 0 0
Audiate
I meant to post this ages ago, but I was hoping to get a friend to snap a pic, because my iPhone camera is so horrible with colors. So, the actual result is a tiny bit brighter than this - perfect for what I wanted! GreenFlagTee.jpg 
Quote 0 0