Mossmilldesign
I ordered a marbling kit that arrives tomorrow- I've only done paper marbling with oil based paints on water so I've spent quite a bit of time reading everything I can find about marbling fabric on Carageenan. The only thing I can't seem to find any information about is background color. Do the paints only work on light colored backgrounds? Can I marble on black or navy cotton or paper with this kit? I also have some hand dyed fabric in deeper tones that I was hoping to marble.
Another question I have is can I iron the dry, alum sized fabric onto freezer paper and marble it with the freezer paper backing? Thanks in advance for your insight.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hi,

The colors are transparent, so they don't work great on darker color, but you can absolutely add white to any color to make it more opaque.  I have done this a lot on dark fabric and it works great.

You can iron the dry alum to freezer paper.  No problem. Use a low setting and do it fast because heat oxidizes the alum and shortens its lifespan.  Remember you should keep alummed items in a plastic container away from air if you want to use them more than a day or 2 after alumming.  
Quote 0 0
Mossmilldesign
You're talking about the white that comes in the kit, then.That's good to know. I was planning on mixing with the white and lightening the colors or mixing the gall with acrylic paints I have. I also have airbrush colors I plan to try on some test pieces. Can't wait to get started- just got the kit today and have plenty of fabric- just waiting for paper.
I thought the freezer paper would help with lighter fabrics I have that seem like they'll be hard to lay down without messing up. That should give me more control.
 I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Thank you so much.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Also, the gall makes the color spread more, so you can use that to match your other paints to the same amount of spread.  It doesn't have to be exact, but if one paint spreads a lot more than others, than colors you add after that won't spread properly.  The gall is powerful so only add small amounts at a time.  
Quote 1 0
Mossmilldesign
Thanks. I've done some research so I'm aware of the use of gall and how little is necessary to work. 
I also wanted to ask about rinsing after it's marbled. I've watched a couple of videos that recommended rinsing it immediately after picking up the paint from the size. They actually used a hose to rinse the fabric-- they were marbling outside. But I've also seen information that says they wait a bit before rinsing the fabric. Does it matter? 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
It is a personal preference.  I always wait until the paint is dry and then do a gentle rinse before I heat set.  I think you lose the least color that way. Some people think that rinsing allows the paint to set better.  The carrageenan is always able to rewet, so really it can be rinsed at any time.  

People definitely have strong feelings about this, but I prefer to wait until the paint is dry.  I think there is an argument if you are marbling on silk to rinse early because the alum weakens the silk.  Still, I have not seen silk rip because of this.  I personally believe that this is only true that the alum is actively weakeneing the silk if  the silk is wet, which it isn't for long.  
Quote 1 0
Mossmilldesign
Okay- thank you.
Quote 0 0