Gridtided
Hi,I'm new here. I'm batik maker from Thailand and looking for something instead wax.Would you please give me suggestions between REMOVABLE WATER - BASED RESISTS and RESISTAD?Which one is good for batik ? Mostly my batik used thin cotton.
Quote 0 0
Mossmilldesign
I've used a wheat flour paste as a resist and had some good results. Rice flour paste is supposed to be the better choice. I applied the wheat paste to soda soaked and then dried, cotton fabric using a stencil for my design and then after it dried, I crinkled the fabric - breaking the dried paste to get a crackle effect. Then I painted over it with thickened fiber reactive dye and let the dye dry. Then I picked off as much of the thicker paste as I could and then I wet the fabric thoroughly and laid it on a towel and used an old plastic gift card to scrape off the softened wheat paste before hand washing it. Screenshot_2019-09-21-20-43-32-1.png 
Quote 1 0
Gridtided
Thank you very much for your suggestion Mossmilldesign.I'll try to do that but may I have your technique about "soda soaked" 
Quote 0 0
Mossmilldesign
When using fiber reactive dye- sometimes called cold water dye- you have to use a mordant on the fabric you wish to dye so that the fabric fibers accept the color. The fabric gets soaked in a solution of soda ash (sodium carbonate) and water for 30 minutes and then allowed to dry.  
Quote 0 0
Gridtided
Thank you again for your explanation Mossmilldesign.
Quote 0 0
Mossmilldesign
You're welcome. You should check out Ann Johnston's book, Color by Design. She has recipes in it for dextrin pastes that give you a batik-like result. 
Quote 1 0
Ivy Ivy
Resistad is the one best suited to prolonged exposure to moisture, especially if it is heat set (ironed) before dye application. 
Quote 0 0