anahorscadre
Hello everyone, I'm a little embarassed.
I've bought a bottle of SolarFast BLACK and it turns blue on my paper... Why is that ?
I used an "insolating kit" and waterpainting 100% cotton paper...
Can you help me ? I really need black not cyan (or I would have done cyanotype) !
Thanks
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
When working on paper the black Solar Fast can range from blue to black. It is really annoying because it changes depending on the paper.  Reducing exposure time can help.  Just work your way back one minute and try that.  The blue is the slowest color, so you can usually cut back on exposure time.  

If that doesn't work, you can try toning.  You tone with orange.  Orange will neutralize the blue.  You don't need much for this.  Orange is strong.  I would start around 1%.  I would not add it to the bottle.  Add to what you are going to use and then you can add more or less to really dial it in. 
Quote 0 0
mag
Hi,
have the same problem, black is blue;
I tried different paper, and different time exposure, and tried washing with boling water, longer, etc.... its still blue...
I tried on cotton fabric, its a light gray....nothing as contrasted as shown in videos/pictures....far from deep black;
very desapointed by the product (I got teal as well, turned to be yellow-ish)
Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Sounds very blue.  A shorter exposure didn't help at all?  It is really hot right now, and the hotter a print gets the more blue it will get.  

Your other option here, especially because you are really getting blue is to neutralize it with orange.  It is most definitely formulated for fabric and not paper.  People always have more issues with the blue on paper.  I tried to make it blacker with orange recently and it totally works, but getting it to look black on paper and fabric is not really possible.  This isn't weird, it is one of the major challenges of dyeing.  Colors look different on different fibers.  

I found that 1% orange added to blue makes a big difference.  What that means is your probably need only a drop or 2 in the black to neutralize that blue in the amount of material you need for one print.  The other thing is that it is easy to overshoot this.  You can get good black edges, but your print area can look brown.  It is a really specific formula you need in other words.  It is specific to your paper, and you can see why this is something not easily done on our end.  

Very sorry about how the color is variable, but you must understand we made the very best black we could with a very limited pallete.  We do not have a primary yellow and the primary blue is a red shade.  So we have 1 true primary color in these dyes.  I am very proud of the black because that was not an easy formulation.  
Quote 0 0