detobias detobias
i find your idye poly black often has a bluish or greenish tint to my velvet and I have tried another brand which has a violet tint. I am looking for a deep jet black. I have ordered a third company's disperse dye in jet black to compare tho I am very partial to yours ! Why is black so difficult?  We are sheltering in place on the coast on a well so water might be an issue but I saw the variation when we were in the city as well. Also velvet by definition is not a completely flat fabric. It might be a reflection of light off the ‘nap’?
Thanks Dianne
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
A lot of it has to do with how hard it is to get deep colors on poly.  You just need a lot of dye to get the depth required.  Any variance in heat or conditions can change it and you are also using some very specific velvet poly.  People think polyester is one fiber, but it is really a series of them.  We have these test strip fabrics with a bunch of different synthetics and when you dye a complex mixture like black, you can get several different results.  In the end it is a compromise and we got it as black as possible on as many different kinds of synthetic as possible.  

You might try mixing those 2 black  and see what you get.  You might get something pretty good.  Toning our black with a little red might be a possibility as well.  Black is a tough color, and getting a formula for a specific fiber is often necessary.    

The most extreme thing you can do is pre-dye your black. This is what some silk artists do when they want to get the most midnight blackest black.  They dye it red, then they dye it green and then they dye it black.  This ensures you add as much color as possible. They dye red and green to get a dark brown so there is no undertone of color bias like green or violet as you are describing, then the black dye does its job and it gets super dark.  
Quote 0 0