bumbleree
Hi all, 

I'm having issues with Bubble Gum Pink retaining its colour after the first machine wash (cold water).

I'e tried intensifying the colour by adding more powder in the mixture and this doesn't seem to work.  I've tried leaving it for longer than 24 hours and still its the only colour that washes out almost completely. 

I actually have a RIT all purpose pink that I used in a project and this seems to be retaining its colour even after a few washes. 

Any ideas on what to do?

All my materials are soaked in soda ash for at least 20 minutes. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Have you had this problem repeatedly with different bottles or a single bottle?  Do you have the bottle.  We could check the batch to see how old it is. 

It's surprising because procion is a reactive dye, so it shouldn't really wash out at all.  

One cold wash will wash it out completely?  It is supposed to be a light color, but it isn't supposed to wash out all the way.  I dyed some bubblegum succeddfully a little while ago, but I will try some again and give it a few washes.  
Quote 0 0
bumbleree
It's been from the same bottle batch #69037 - I just purchased another bottle to try and its unfortunately from the same batch. 

One cold wash completely washes out the pink - the other colours on the tie dye fabric are still in tact.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Oh dear.  I was hoping your batch was really old, but that is relatively new.  Let me do a dyeing.  I will report back.  How much are you using.  You are doing tie dye, are you putting a tablespoon in a 4oz bottle or what exactly?
Quote 0 0
bumbleree
Thank you so much.
My process below:
-Soak socks in soad ash 20 min
-squeeze our excess, socks as still moist 
-have tried 1 tsp in 4oz and 2 tsp 4 Oz (both wash out)
-wrap in plastic between 18-24 hrs
-rinse, dry for a few a hours then machine cold wash 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Ok I have a bottle of the same batch.  Let me see what happens here.  
Quote 0 0
CoffeeCupPress CoffeeCupPress
Maybe the socks aren't 100% cotton?

-René
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI, so I did some tests here.  The first one is an immersion dyeing.  It looks pink here, but yes it is very light.  To be fair, the bubblegum color is supposed to be very light.  If this were against red instead, it would look pretty white.  The second dyeing I did below, also came out very light.  I did 1 teaspoon in 4oz, 3 tsp in 4oz, and 6 tsp in 4oz from left to right.  The difference is pretty stark.  I think it might just be the concentration.  My assessment is that there is nothing wrong with the dye itself, but it is definitely one of our very lightest colors.  Pale aqua is the only other one that is so consistently light and pastel.  

I do think Coffeecuppress has a good point.  It is possible that the socks might be nylon?  That would explain why it washed out 100%.  I might expect that from such a light color.  IF they were viscose(rayon) you might see the same thing.  I doubt they are polyester because then all of the colors I would expect to wash out.  

I would suggest using a tablespoon instead of a teaspoon and see what you can find out.  Overall I would say I am not surprised it isn't very dark because that is what bubblegum is like, but having no color at all seems not right.  I did use industrial strength dye removing detergent, so these were washed as well as you can possibly wash.   

bubblegum immersion.jpg  b8ubblegum tie dye.jpg
Quote 0 0
bumbleree
Thank you so much for testing taking the time to test these out!
The socks are 70% Cotton 29% Poly 1% nylon.  
I think you're right when it sits against the other colours I've dyed it out with it looks as though its completely washed out.  I will try by adding more dye in the mixture!

Thank you so much for your help!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Let us know what happens!  Just as an FYI to everyone.  Robin's egg blue, Bubblegum and Pale Aqua are our "pastel" dye colors in the MX line.  They are meant to be pretty pale and look almost like Easter pastels.  
Quote 0 0