fdelaplante
i would like to dye a down winter jacket, Canada Goose brand.  It’s currently light blue and would like black or navy.  The exterior shell looks like a cotton polyester blend, though not sure because the tag has been removed.   I would need any advice on what type of dye or product to use and method.  I have never worked with dye before. 
Thanks,  Francine
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
https://www.canadagoose.com/us/en/fabric-tech---arctic-tech/fabtech-modal-arctic-tech.html

This says it is 85% poly 15% cotton

The problem I see here is that it has a waterproof coating added to it.  That is always bad for dyeing. IF you try to remove this coating will it be successful, will it make it really streaky?  You can try not removing the coating as well and that means your dye job is going to be unpredictable.  Coatings like this used to come off really easily with washing, but now they are getting better and better.  A premium coat like this might have a nice waterproofer on it.  

So before we start, are you prepared to have a disappointing outcome here?  Is it worth a jacket with a ruined color to try to change?  I am saying this because I think there is an element of unpredictability I am not comfortable with, and i know these jackets aren't something that you can replace on a whim.  
Quote 0 0
fdelaplante
Thank you for your prompt reply. This coat has not been used for several years as it is at least two sizes too big for me. It has only been worn a few times. However, it fits my husband perfectly. He’s not too keen on the baby blue colour. Yes, it appears to have some waterproofing. I’m ready to take my chances in changing the colour. It’s a rather expensive item to give away.
Should I wash it prior to changing the colour? This may remove some weatherproofing. Please advise on which product I should try along with the method.
Thank you for your help!
Francine

waterproofing
!My reason for changing
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes, so first, I would do a scour wash with soda ash to try to remove the waterproofing.  Soda ash is also called "washing soda" and is widely available.  Of course we sell it for tie dye.  Hot water in the washing machine will do as good a job as anything.

I would get 4 packets of dye.  Idye poly black, Idye Natural black and Idye poly Orange and Idye natural deep orange.  

Why the orange?  You want a neutral black, but if your husband doesn't mind a black that has a blue tint, then you can forget about the orange.  Dyes layer and you will see evidence of the blue if you don't neutralize it with Orange.  

The orange you need 5-10 percent.  The best way to get this is to dissolve the whole pack and then take 1/10 of that water and add it to the dye bath for both the natural and poly dye.  You can do this with both in the same container at the same time.  If the blue is very light, just use 1/2 of that 1/10 portion and you are ready. 

Put both of the black dyes in the dye bath as well. 

Boil the dye bath.  Wet the jacket and put it in the dye bath.  Stir regularly and wait 10 min then add a cup of salt for the black natural dye.    30 min in the bath should be good, but you can go up to an hour on a simmer to get the very darkest color.  

Once finished wash with regular detergent, and repeat the soda ash washing.  It will make the Polyester dye look blacker.  Dry and you are good.  

Most important is finding a pot large enough to dye it and making sure there is enough water so that the jacket moves freely inside the pot.  
Quote 0 0
fdelaplante
Thank you so much for your help! Yes indeed, finding a big enough pot will be a challenge. This coat is of mid-thigh length. I do have a canning pot that I can try.
Ciao for now,
Francine
Quote 0 0
Mossmilldesign
It's very important that you move the jacket around in the dye. You can't just let it sit there in the dye bath and expect it to have even coverage. Keep moving the jacket around- wear gloves and I also use tongs because the water is very hot. I'm rather short and find it easier to use a step stool to do this so I can stand higher than the pot and lift the garment straight up out of the pot to try to avoid getting dye everywhere. Straighten out the sleeves and anywhere the fabric gets twisted. You want the fabric surface to be exposed to the dye bath to avoid a splotchy result. I would say this is key to getting the best result possible. Good luck.  
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Good Advice Kim.  Also, spilling this dye on anything synthetic can cause it to stain it and not be able to be removed.  So be careful sloshing the dye around.  
Quote 0 0