Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I am putting this in the acid dye section because it will probably most interest this group.  

I get the question about batch dyeing protein fibers more and more.  People want to tie dye a cashmere sweater or silk dress!  Maybe they are doing shibori on silk and want to batch it.

I know that Procion can be used under acid conditions on protein fiber, but I got a question today about batching on nylon.  Never had this question before, but it got me curious because Procion(or at least reactive dyes in general) are not used on nylon very often.  Nylon in general doesn't dye as well as silk, which is just a thirsty fiber in general.  It absorbs every type of dye. 

So, we batch dyed both silk and nylon with acid dyes in Turquoise and Sun yellow and with Procion in Lemon Yellow and Turquoise.  The procedure was quite like using Procion on cotton, but I soaked the fiber in 1/3 cup per gallon of citric acid instead of Soda Ash. So, both tests are under acidic conditions.  

It turns out the Acid dye was better in both cases, but the procion was pretty good on the silk, but only gave pastel shades on the Nylon.  Acid dye on the top 2 in the picture.  Procion on the bottom 2.  The left fiber is silk crepe de chine.  The fiber on the right is stretchy nylon.  

Proetin fiber batch dye.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Sharoper Sharoper
With the silk, did you use very hot water as you would with acid dye on wool, or with cooler water allowed with Procion?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
These were all batched with cold water, they weren't even put in the sun.  They were also only batched for 1 hour.  Sometimes these conventional wisdom like "you can't batch with acid dyes" are just wrong.  I was shocked by this result, because it isn't supposed to work.  
Quote 0 0
Cynthia
I don’t know if this is appropriate to your conversation but I’ve had very good results doing nylon with hot water And acid dye in a big pot with other things I’m dying, nylon, silk and wool all together- I over dye tons of stuff from the thrift store to colors I like better…is this “batching”?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
No, this is immersion dyeing.  Thanks for helping to clarify.  An immersion dye is where you dip the whole garment in the dye bath, and usually heat it.  You can do an immersion with procion dyes at cold temp. 

Most people are familiar with batching from tie dye.  You squirt the dye on where you want it, and leave it for a period of time to let it set at room temp.  Conventional wisdom says that batching doesn't work for hot dyes like Acid dyes, but I have proven here that it does work.  

The other big reason to batch, is to hand paint or screen print/block print dyes.  Any time you want color on part of the garment, usually in a design, and not just an all over color.  

Thanks for bringing it up.  I want to make clear those are very different processes.
Quote 0 0