detobias detobias
i have used idye poly for several years to dye stretch velvet. You have been so helpful along my journey by answering questions. I recently obtained a sampler of another conpany’s disperse dyes and I have experimented a little. Is there a unit of measure that is used to state the strength of disperse dyes? They could not answer the ? These seem more intense and I do not want to incur more possible toxicity. I wear a mask when dealing with the powders. Also their recommendation is to use citric acid in the rinse. I have never done that with disperse dyes. Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I have always heard to use soda ash in the rinse, as it removes and crocking.  Never heard acid before I will try that. 

There is not exactly a unit of measure for dye strength.  Usually a dye will come as a percentage.  Some come as 100%, some come as 200%.  It depends on the reaction that makes the dye.  Generally speaking 4% dye is considered a med to dark shade for most dye classes.  Our disperse dyes are supposed to be 100%.  So you might have gotten your hands on a 150 or 200 maybe.  We don't sell those because crocking is worse on those.  In a pressure cooker though it  might be better.  

You might try using 75% 50% and 25% of what you normally would and see how they look.  Most likely the strength is in a standard interval like 200 or 150%. Are these high energy or low energy disperse dyes?  We only sell the low energy ones that can be used at water boiling temp.  The high energy ones require pressure.  
Quote 0 0