pillywiggins1
How can I use dye na flow on chamois leather? I want to use it for binding on an 18th century corset, so it needs to colorfast to constant rubbing and sweat. How do I set the dye na flow without using an iron?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
https://www.jacquardproducts.com/airfix

Airfix is the answer!  It chemically heat sets the paint.  This is what we use when we use it on furniture and upholstery that can't be ironed.  It will heat set it in 3 days.  

Add 3% which is about half a teaspoon, slightly less, into a 2.25 oz bottle of dye na flow.  It is true you can rub it off if it is not set, this will do it.  
Quote 0 0
pillywiggins1
So, here's what I did:
I added about 1/2 tsp of airfix to the bottle dye na flow, diluted with a little water. I washed the chamois with car wash solution to remove any extra oils from the leather, then brushed the dye mix onto it while still damp. Let that dry, then did a second dye layer because the leather soaked up the dye a bit unevenly. I'll just say, a large chamois from the auto store requires almost 3 of the little bottles of dye na flow to get good coverage. Let that sit for 72 hrs before washing. The water never washed completely clear, but after another wash with soap it got close enough. I then let it dry stretched out on a frame before rubbing in mink oil paste. The color is lovely and after the mink oil the leather is a soft as it was when first bought.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Very interesting. Yeah a chamois is super absorbent, so I guess that makes sense that it would take so much of the color to cover it.  That is a lot of paint, almost 7 oz.  I guess if someone wanted to repeat this project they should get an 8oz bottle of dye na flow instead.  Very interesting.  
Quote 0 0