gorge gorge Show full post »
Ellerbee Ellerbee
Nothing's healthy for you at the end of the day. People should just use their heads and follow instructions. I would take color remover over bleach any day of the week.
Quote 0 0
cyn_stevie cyn_stevie
I'm going to dye some lavender curtains maroon/burgundy. Natural fabric, I'm trying to match them to some that are already that color. It seems like I would just use red or maroon/red. Any advice would be appreciated since I've never done this before.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I would do these in the washing machine or a big tub with Idye in hot steaming water. Crimson would probably get you there. The lavender will just help to make it more burgundy. Use salt for a dark red. It doesn't have to be non-iodized salt., Regular salt is ok.
Quote 0 0
jacquardproducts
Original Post Date: September 20, 2018
User: Barighetti

I'm going to dye a coat (55% wool and 45% polyester), originally white to black or dark gray.
I'll probably gonna have to dye it twice right? One to dye the poly and to dye the wool? Since they need different dyes.
Is there a particular order to it? First wool or polyester? Or it doesn't matter?
Also, I've read somewhere that I shouldn't use an aluminium container to dye the wool, because it requires an acid dye that would interact with it? is that accurate?
I appreciate the help. Trying to save a coat ruined in a dry cleaner :/
Quote 0 0
jacquardproducts
Original Post Date: September 21, 2018
User: Jacquardmod

Hello,

Yes avoid the aluminum if you can. You are right the acid is not good for it.

You can dye this coat all at once if you want. The important thing here is to make the transition between hot and cold slowly. You don't want to shock the wool. That means presoak the coat in hot water before you add it to the boiling poly dye.

You can actually do this process all at once. The acid dye will not affect the poly dye. Add the acid dye (prob 2 small jars of black esp if it the coat is a little heavy) and poly dye(1 packet probably works unless the jacket weighs over 3 lbs). Heat it to boiling. Add the hot wet coat. Stir(important the coat moves freely in the water).

Add vinegar after 10 min and then boil on a low boil for 45 min to an hour for max black.

Return to hot water bath. Allow to return to room temp, then rinse coat in cold water until the water runs clear.
Quote 0 0