JackStraw
Hello...I have a silk/linen blend jacket that has been discolored by sun damage (I think).  I love the jacket and would like to see if I can save it.  It is currently a pastel green, and I was thinking of dyeing it a dark blue (saphire blue maybe).

Question for the forum...

1. What type of product (acid or basic) would work best on a silk/linen blend?
2. Do I need to remove the color first?  I was reading something on the RIT site that recomended I remove the color first, but was not sure if thats just relevent to the RIT dyes.
3. Am I crazy or do you think this would work?

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hi,

You can definitely dye the jacket.  I suggest Idye, as it will be the easiest to dye over and will work on both types of fiber.  

Now, as far as removing the color.  You have an issue there.  Did the color fade evenly?  If not, that will show up on the next dyeing.  Also, the green is going to show through on the blue. If it is light green, you can probably overpower it with blue.  If You don't want green at all anymore, than you probably do want to remover the color.  Color remover will likely do that really well, but it has to be heated in pot on the stove.  Then I would use either Royal or Bright blue IDye.  Royal is a bit darker similar to a Sapphire like you say.  Bright blue is slightly more greenish blue that is bright and really beautiful.  
Quote 0 0
JackStraw
awesome!  Thanks for the response.  This is really helpful.  Does Jacquard sell a color remover?  I did not see this on the site.  Last question.  The jacket is a 44R.  Do you think one iDye packet would work?  You guys rock!
Quote 0 0
JackStraw
And no, the color did not fade evenly:-)
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Ok, so the color not fading evenly means you need to remove the color.  Otherwise, you will get that uneveness in your new dye job.

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/color-remover

This is our color remover.  The good news is that it is widely available because there is a packet of color remover on the idye rack.  I prefer the 2 oz bottle in case I need a little more chemical, but the packet should actually do fine for this project.  You need the stove to remove the color, so you should just use it again to get the best blue when you re-dye it.

Use one of the blues I suggested above. bright blue for more vivid, Royal blue for a deeper blue.    Add a a cup of salt after 10 min of dye time to really get the deepest color.

For a medium shade I think 1 packet is fine as long as the jacket is pretty light which it sounds like it should be.  If you want a dark blue,use 2 packs and don't forget the salt.  Don't worry about non-iodized salt.  That makes less than a 5% difference in color which is not noticeable.  
Quote 0 0
JackStraw
Thanks for the help!
Quote 0 0