Ladysuss

Hey!
I would like to dye a dress which looks as chiffon but I'm not sure of the kind of cloth it's made of as there is no label. Should I mix dye for natural fibers and for polyester do be sure that it will get dyed? 

Also, I am thinking of mixing two colors. Do you have any idea how mixing lilac and pink will look like? In case I dont like it, could I cover it with another color?

Thank you!!!

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The problem with doing this, is that the polyester dye needs a boil.  That is the highest heat any of our dyes required.  Most fibers hold up to that, but sometimes structural stuff doesn't.  Pleats and other structural parts don't like it much.  So, if you can avoid it I would.  

You can usually tell if it is natural by finding a loose thread and burning it.  If it creates ash, it is natural.  If it shrinks away and disappears it is synthetic. Don't pull a thread that stitches different panels together, that is almost always poly no matter what.

Lastly, mixing those 2 colors is fine.  Yes you can dye over it later if you need to. Lilac mixed with pink will give you pinky purple of course.  Don't use 100% of both packets.  It will be pretty dark in that case.  You should use half of each or 75% of one and 25% of the other.  Easiest way to do that is to dissolve both packets in hot water in a small container and then mix the liquids not the powder.  It is safer and less messy that way.  breathing the powder is not healthy. 

Leftovers can be stored that way in a jar or Tupperware for years.  
Quote 0 0
Ladysuss

Thank you so much for your answer!!

The dress is not a valuable one so I will give it a try 🙂 I didn't know that adding the whole package increases the darkness of the color, good to know!! 🙂 

Weird question of the day: using an ultrasonic bath (at boiling temperature, of course) will increase the fixation of the dye?

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I think that will increase the color and fixing of the dye.  It is essentially agitating the bath at a very small level.  It will help how even the dye goes for sure.  If you get god results let us know.  I haven't heard of people using the ultrasonic bath except when they were dyeing 3d printed parts before.  Seems to work in that instance quite well
Quote 0 0