Saharr

Hi Folks,
I am new to the forum and haven’t found any information related to dyeing caribou fur. I’d appreciate if anyone can provide me with some guidance please, on the directions etc.). I’ve bought all the Jacquard primary colours of acid dye (yellow, red, turquoise, emerald -couldn’t resist another share of green - and black) and citric acid. I planned to mix dyes to achieve specific colours. This is for a small quantity of fur (1 hide cut into small pieces) I don’t have much to experiment on. 

I’d appreciate all your guidance!

Thank you!
Sahar

Quote 0 0
Saharr

Hi folks! Here’s to hoping someone can provide me with some feedback again! I have all the primary colours for the acid dye. Any information on the process on dyeing a fur pelt on with minimal damage to the leather and fur would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI,

I know a lot about dyes, but less about hides.  I would use a slightly cooler bath temp.  I think 160 degrees should be ok.  I would also try to keep the pelt in the bath for as short a time as you can.  The good news with acid dyes is that they generally take quickly and you can do 20-30 min baths.  I would aim on the low side.  I had someone dyeing chinchilla, and they said that if they had them in more than 25 min the hide would noticeably deteriorate.  

Did you get the cherry red, turquoise and Sun Yellow?  Those are pretty good. We are finding out that the Hot Fuchsia is a really good primary color, but its lighfastness is not as good as cherry red.  If you want really bright violets, the Hot Fuchsia is crucial.  

What specific colors do you need help on.  I am really qualified to help right now as I am making a  primary mixing chart for acid dyes, that I will post here when I cam finished.  
Quote 1 0
Saharr

Thank you for your detailed email. I greatly appreciate all the instructions your provided.  The supplier made some adjustments to their colours based on customer feedback, so I only bought the primary colours they advised were good for mixing, which are as follows:

New Yellow (601)
Emerald (629)
New Turquoise(624)
Fire Red (618)
and Black (639) for good measure. 

Any colour mixing recipes would be very helpful indeed! Many thanks!

An additional question I have is: Do I add vinegar or citric acid to
the dye bath?

thank you immensely!

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod

Ok.  One suggestion I will make for your color list.  

Cherry Red #617(yellow biased magenta) and Hot Fuchsia # 620(neutral magenta/slightly blue biased) are better primary reds.  The fire red is a little more yellow.  i have also had reports of it not working as well on Fox fur, so it is possible, it is not as good for fur as the other acid dyes.  You can let us know on Caribou.  If lightfastness is an issue, than cherry red, if it isn't a big deal, the Hot Fuchsia is the best primary red.

Either vinegar of citric acid is ok.  People use citric acid mostly because white vinegar smells like vinegar and some people don't like it.  Powdered citric acid is stronger, and odorless so you don't need much.  One thing I have seen with citric acid is "browning" of blacks.  The jet black can look brownish if you use too much acid.  IF you see this back off your citric acid.  

Best to add the acid after 10 min in the bath.  If you are trying to do a quick bath of 10 min or so, add the acid after 5 min in the bath.  

I am still working on my color chart.  I should be able to post in the next few days formulas, and hopefully color swatches.  I will try to post Violets made from Cherry red and Hot Fuchsia too to show the difference in those blue colors.  

Quote 0 0