KristalynPac
Hello! I am new to this forum & new to Jacquard dye. I recently bought a knitted linen sweater online that is just the natural linen colour. I was expecting an oatmeal shade as I have experienced in the past, but instead, it was more of a light grey. I am wondering if there is a way to make it more of an oatmeal shade, &, if so, what colour(s) of dye would I use? I am experienced in dyeing, but have not tried this particular colour change before, & I cannot cut off any of the knit to experiment. Also, I've been using a lesser quality dye but wanted to upgrade to Jacquard for this project, since it's a higher quality item, so I felt I should seek direction on colour choice first.

Lastly, I'm not sure whether I should choose the iDye or Procion, so I wasn't sure how to even choose the appropriate category to post this in! Thanks so much.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
We have a good color match in the Idye line with Ecru.  it is very much an oatmeal color.  Stoveytop method is the best with a light color like this.  It can be unpredictable in the machine.  

Procion dye can work too.  I would use 2 teaspoons of Bronze were I to do this.  Procion is going to be more permanent in terms of wash and lightfastness, but it is harder to get an even dye is a bath with procion.  It is very important to stir with procion.  You need to stir almost the whole time.  I do find that Idye is easier to get even color with in a dye bath.  
Quote 0 0
KristalynPac
The Ecru looks PERFECT! I think I will try that. Thank you so much for your advice!
Quote 0 0
KristalynPac
I bought the Ecru, but I am very confused about how to use it accurately. When I dye things, I usually first make a test batch with a bit of the dye in a small amount of hot water, dyeing a small, unnoticeable part of my garment if possible, to make sure I like the colour & also assess how much dye I need to add to my water bath. Then, if I like the colour, I adjust the amount of dye to get it to be the right depth (between dark & light) for the amount of fabric I am dyeing. I am usually doing little projects & so rarely (if ever) use a whole packet of dye at once.

I am about to dye a very expensive sweater that is already grey, which will affect the colour, so I was counting on being able to test for shade & depth. It is also only 14 oz, so I was expecting to use less than a whole packet of dye. But when I got my dye, I saw that I am supposed to just throw the whole dissolvable packet into my water bath! This is totally different than how I go about my dye projects, & I am confused about how I can test the colour & assess for depth now. Do you have suggestions for me, or do I need to post elsewhere? Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI,

You can of course cut the packet open and dissolve the amount you want in water.  IT is easier though, to dissolve the whole thing at once in a quart or so of hot water and just use the portion you want.  The dye is stable in water, so you can keep it in solution until you are ready to go for the whole thing. 

One thing about the ecru and the grey.  Ecru is a light color, so it may not have a great affect on something that is already colored.  It is meant to be that oatmeal light brown color, that could be overwhelmed by the grey depending on how dark it is now.  

Just one tip on the cashmere.  You want to avoid quick temp changes, so when moving it in and out of the bath it is smart to move it from say the hot pot into a hot clean container and let it come to room temp before rinsing in cold water.  
Quote 0 0
KristalynPac
Thank you for these suggestions! I was suggested to get the Ecru here in this very thread (above) to cover light grey, as I had thought the natural linen sweater I bought would be more of an oatmeal. Do you have any better suggestions for how I can get closer to an oatmeal colour? I hate grey & am a warm colours person, & whenever I previously bought natural linen, it was more of an oatmeal colour. So I'm just trying to do the best I can with an expensive, non-returnable sweater!

The sweater is linen, not cashmere, but I will keep that last tip in mind should I ever be so bold as to dye cashmere. I hope to do a lambswool dress I have sometime, so I will probably use your method for that!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
If it is a light grey, I think you will be fine.  I am sorry I saw this as a totally new topic and didn't read the background again.  I think this will work, I was worried about how dark the grey was.  I'm not sure where I got the cashmere part from.  I guess I just thought it had to be cashmere if it was expensive!  Let us know how it turns out.  If it doesn't work, you might need to remove the grey first, but it is more complicated, and i think it is worth trying to dye first.  We can remedy it if it doesn't work out to the color you really want.
Quote 0 0
KristalynPac
Okay, thanks for the vote of confidence! It's a hand-knitted linen sweater from another country, made to my measurements ~ thus the expense & non-return policy. I will get to experimenting!
Quote 0 0