Chell
Hello! I am Michelle. I have been trying to get bright colored pine straw now for over a year. I am able to get dark colors but not bright blues, yellows, turquoise etc. I have tried using the basic jacquard dye and followed the instructions to the letter. No luck. Can anyone give me some pointers or tell me what I’m doing wrong? So frustrated!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I would have figured Basic dye would work great.  I wonder if the pine straw is too waxy for the dye to penetrate?  How have you gotten the dark colors?  Maybe that will give us a clue as to what is going on here?
Quote 0 0
Chell
So so sorry for replying directly back! I have been moving and then I have one accident (twisted ankles) after another. I have been using the store bought Rit and fabric dyes by heating the water and simmering on the stove. When I couldn’t get the blues and yellows (lighter colors) that I wanted I researched and discovered the jacquard dyes. I will admit my husband and I have only tried a few times with it because I’ve became so frustrated when it didn’t work the first 3-4 times. I don’t remember if the needles had been treated with the gylcerin or not before we tried dying them. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
What have the results been like?  You don't get anything?  Where do you get your pine needles?  I need to try I think
Quote 0 0
Chell
They just come out a black color. I was trying to get a bright turquoise  so I started out using the 017 turquoise basic dye. I also have several other colors like the yellow, blue, purple and green etc. I only tried 2 colors and gave up. The turquoise cane out black and the yellow did nothing. 
Quote 0 0
Chell
I hope to be able to gather some fresh needles this weekend while I’m home for the holiday. I plan to try again soon. I really had hoped someone would have a solution to my problem by then. I see ppl all over the web with these colored needles for sell. They’re very expensive to buy. I know if they can get these colors then I can too. I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. A lady in Virginia is the one that told me that the Jacquard dye is how they’re getting these vibrant colors. But she wouldn’t tell me the recipe or trick to it. She sells these already dyed so I’m sure she figured she would be losing business if she told. 🤨 really could use some ones help on this. I’m not in this to sell. I make stuff for myself and family as heirlooms and to just have something to do. But I’m not going to pay for dyed needles when I can do it myself. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod

This video talks about cleaning your needles.  I think that is likely pretty important.  Waxy residue is going to repel the dye.  Notice she says the fabric dye doesn't work that well, and she brightened the color up with leather dye.  Leather dye is Basic dye.  

One thing about the basic dye.  The Rit all purpose has some basic dye in it, but way way less than what you get in our bottle.  So, with the turquoise, you probably used many time more dye than you actually needed.  I don't know how much you need, but if they are black that is way too much.  I would guess half a teaspoon for a handful of needles.  Basic dyes are really strong colorants.  Usually you can use half as much basic dye as you would use other dyes.  

You should not have to boil it either.  I would use vinegar and salt maybe, but the vinegar is more important.  

The thing I can't figure out is why the yellow didn't work.  Basic dye is so sticky, I have never had any of the colors not color something.  It colors any stains you have on glass or metal even.  
Quote 0 0
Chell
I will definitely try this. Now that I know how strong the basic dye is this may have been the problem. I’ve been using way too much. I cant remember if the needles had the glycerin on them yet or not. That could be the problem also. I will let you know how my next batch goes.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes, I think you would want glycerin as a post treatment after you dye.  I could see the glycerin causing issues with dye penetration
Quote 0 0