Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I wanted to share this email I got, because washers in general are getting worse for dyeing while they get better for the environment.  Less water, and less time means lighter colors due to the smaller amount of water is doesn't stay hot as long, and the shorter time changes it too.  This person found out that if you had any water in the machine to begin with, the machine would immediately flush it. So watch out for this.

Hi Everyone,
I'm a longtime Procion MX user - thank you so much for your work bringing this product to market. I wanted to give you some feedback that i hope will help you revise your Washing Machine dyeing instructions.

I just discovered that with a recent "intelligent" GE front-loading washer, the wash basin senses the presence of liquid and all liquid gets PUMPED OUT OF THE MACHINE PRIOR TO THE CYCLE STARTING, sending all your carefully dissolved soda ash, salt, and dye straight down the drain before the barrel turns even once.

Just now, i carefully dissolved an entire 5lb box of kosher salt, 3 cups of soda ash and 4 containers of blue dye into my machine, put in the clothes and started the cycle, and the machine pumped the entire dye bath down the drain and out of the machine prior to starting the cycle. Complete waste of materials, except for some random corners of fabric that soaked up some liquid from the bottom of the barrel. I was beyond stunned at the stupidity of the "smart" machine!

I think with washers like this, basically a home dyer needs to pour dissolved salt, soda ash and dye in through the detergent tray with a big, big funnel after the cycle has started. It seems like a crazy workflow but i think it's the only way to defeat the drain sensor on the machine.

Maybe this will help some other people and help protect our environment too. I think more and more machines are being built this way.
Quote 0 0
Audiate

Thanks for sharing... I'm frustrated by the same issue. My machine does the same, and I wouldn't want to put dye into the soap dispenser because it might leave dye in the system. Regardless, my machine just won't work for this because there is SO LITTLE WATER used in the wash. The only time it uses a lot of water is for the Washing Machine Cleaning cycle - and it won't run this if there are ANY clothes in!

It's also super frustrating that I can't use it to RINSE my dyed clothes... again, just too little water. I guess the only way to defeat this would be to have an old-school top-load washer... that would also make it easier for adding the salt and soda at intervals. However, I don't have room for a second washing machine... really wish I did though!

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hey everyone, 

There is a really accessible dyeing alternative here, that can actually give you better results than the machine but takes a little more labor. 

You can fill a 5 gallon bucket half with hot water form the tap, and half with hot water from the stove.  Get it really hot if you can. 

Then, put the dye packet in stir it up and then add your wet clothing.  Stir stir stir.  Add a cup of salt and stir stir stir.  Dye it up to an hour.  This is easier than heating on the stove, and can get you darker color than the washing machine.  

Best directions are still stovetop, but bucket method can work really well.  
Quote 0 0
Audiate
Hot water for Procion MX? ... I thought that one of the advantages of Procion is that we don't have to use very hot water?

My main issue is RINSING... so difficult to do without a laundry room! Any tips for those who don't have top-load washers OR a really big sink? (My sinks are all quite small)
Quote 0 0