Audiate

Hello! I'm new to this forum, and to Procion MX...

I have a pair of jeans that have faded considerably, and I want to dye them back to their original medium blue (or as close a color as I can get). It's difficult to tell which blue to use because the online swatches look different on every monitor! I realize I'll lose the denim "effect" but that's OK... my question is how to get a dull/muted blue, and not a super vibrant color. I want to use Procion for colorfastness, hence not using iDye.

Can someone suggest which blue would be my best bet? Again, I'm more concerned about the color not being too vivid, than about the exact hue. Attached is a photo of a similar denim (and yes I'm aware there are many shades in this photo! - so about the "middle" hue).

I also looked up the color mixing chart, but there are no photos in it! "Heritage blue" SOUNDS like the kind of blue I'm going for... but there is no color swatch!
Any help appreciated... thanks in advance.

Jeans.jpg 

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I think I would just use cobalt blue.  It is almost Jean color but not quite and is dull.  You don't want medium blue, it is too red.  You don't want Bright, Turquoise or Cerulean blue because they are vibrant.  Cobalt is duller, not quite indigo blue, and will be very permanent. 

Using the immersion method i would use the entire bottle of dye in a 5 gallon bucket
add soda ash and salt after 10 min of the jeans being in the bath.  Use body temp water, add 1/3 of  cup soda ash per gallon and 2 cups of regular salt. (don't worrry about non-iodized)  The salt is the trick to get the color very dark.  
Quote 0 0
Audiate

Oh wow, thank you for such precise instructions!
Also for clarifying that the medium blue is too red.

Just curious, the "heritage blue" that is listed in the Color Mixing Chart... what kind of a blue is it?
Also, for future jeans-dying projects, how do Midnight Blue and Navy show up (078 and 079)?

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Heritage blue is going to be too red for you.  I would suggest the Cobalt and Jet black if you want to darken it.  I would do 1 part jet black to 3 parts cobalt for a dark jean color instead.  

Midnight blue and Navy are again too red, sort of purpley.  1/2 navy and 1/2 cobalt would be fine though.  I have done this on jeans and it looks pretty good.  It can get very dark.  
Quote 0 0
Audiate
Wow great info, thanks again!
Quote 0 0
Audiate
I finally got the dye... but just wanted to double check... when you said use the "entire bottle", what size bottle did you mean?
I read the instructions on the (small) bottle and it sounds like I might need more for a pair of jeans?
thanks!

Using the immersion method i would use the entire bottle of dye in a 5 gallon bucket
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Procion dye can get really dark and you can use more than you should without too much trouble.  The whole bottle is 20g.  That should be enough for 2lb of fabric to a med to medium dark color. I just looked at my directions are good.  I might even add  a third cup of salt if you want it as dark as possible.  

2 bottles would make it pretty dark.  I would be careful with that.  Stirring is super important at high concentration and you are at greater risk of cloudiness.  
Quote 0 0
Audiate
Thank you once again!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
No problem.  Most people use procion for tie dye, but it can be a great immersion dye for stuff like this, and of course it is really permanent which is nice.  It just needs more massaging to get a dark color.  
Quote 0 0