Joycegingernut
my washing machine has a front opening door and it won’t open when there is water in the machine.  When do I put my fabric in the machine
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
First, 

Because front loaders and high efficiency machines are the norm, let me say some things about dyeing in the washer.  I don't think you shoudl do complex colors in there.  That means browns, greys, and black should not be done in the washer.  Temp and water are very important for these colors, and neither is great for the washing machine.  Pure colors are fine. ink, Turquoise, purple.  Even reds often come out too light and look pink, so you might want to avoid those too.  

The other thing is that you want the longest hottest cycle you can get to the best color.  No pre-rinse.  It washes the dye away immediately.  

Check and wipe down the lip around your front loading door after you are done.  Make sure no dye is caught there.  It can stain the next load.  

Last, if you are using a front loader, just put everything in there to start with.  The packet will dissolve in the water and should give you enough leeway that it will not stain just one part of the fabric first.  I dye in a front loader and have not had this problem unless there is too much fabric in there that gets bunched up.  
Quote 0 0
Joycegingernut
Thank you for your reply I will try this.  As I’m using Ecru which should not be a strong colour anyway I hope it should be successful 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes, this one should work pretty well
Quote 0 0
Joycegingernut
Do I need to use salt in my machine

Will the dye colour the rubber seal

Do I prewash the items

Regards

Joyce
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Prewashing is a good idea.  Oxyclean is a good prewash as is soda ash.  Synthrapol or solar fast wash also work great.

Salt will make deeper/darker colors.  

The dye should not affect the rubber seal and stain it, but it could accumulate there and should be wiped down to see if any dye sticks.  On front loaders, they don't always dry 100% and it is because water gets stuck on those sideways seals.  Make sure to wipe it down after dyeing.

Lastly, I only recommend dyeing pure colors in the machine.  Blues, yellows, purples are ok.  Reds almost never get dark enough in the machine, and black, grey, and other mixed colors often don't get fully colored either because you never really get up to the recommended temp which is 180 degrees F.  
Quote 0 0