fishugly
I have two different packs I use for outdoor recreation. Both are made from a heavier nylon of some sort.

One is black and green (forest green). I would like to dye it so it was all black.

The other is black and yellow (mustard yellow). I would like to dye it so it was all black.

Though limited, I have some experience dying two different nylon items using RIT dye.... since that is all that's available to me, and within a stones throw. I wasn't concerned so much with the outcome as I was simply trying to "darken" light colored materials. This time though, I'm a little more concerned. I don't care to have some funky purplish color.

Will a black dye suffice for what I want to do? Or do I need to be thinking about different colored dyes to turn my colors to black?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Rit is a direct dye, and while it will work on nylon to some extent, you would be better off with an acid dye that is used at the same temp and just the addition of white vinegar would create a better black. 

Now, you have green and yellow here.  I would consider also getting a jar or violet acid dye for the yellow, and maybe some scarlet for the forest green in addition to the black.  The reason is because dyes are transparent, and when you dye something black you can often see the color underneath.  You need to neutralize those colors with their complementary color. You don't add much.  I would use a whole bottle of black on the packs, but only about 1/10 of the bottle of color.  You don't need a lot.  This will work too with Rit, but you may not get as dark a black as you want.  

Acid dyes are what they used on your pack originally most likely.  
Quote 0 0
fishugly
Thank you very much for your quick and detailed reply! Appreciated! I'm not sure I fully understand though. One can dye with acid (white vinegar as a substitute?) by heating it... then adding to that the dye (colorant) itself? For the yellow pack, I would soak it in hot acid with violet dye... then later soak it again in black dye?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I was referring to acid dyes, which are better colourants than direct dyes like rit on nylon.  

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/acid-dye

The idea is to use our jet black acid dyes and tone then with small amounts of the purple for yellow and scarlet for the forest green pack.  The acid is just a cup of white vinegar you add to this dye. 

You should add vinegar even if you go with the Rit for dying nylon.  Color choices still apply as well.  I just wanted you and anyone who sees this that acid dyes are the perfect dye for nylon while the direct dye you are suggesting is more like just ok for nylon.  
Quote 0 0
fishugly
Thank you very much for the clarification, link, and extra info. Appreciated!
Quote 0 0
fishugly
One more question...just so it's completely clear in my mind. On my green and black pack for instance: I get a scarlet dye and a black dye... then mix a little of the scarlet dye to a full batch of black dye?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes correct.  Use full complement or even double of the black, and use 1/10 that amount for the scarlet.
Quote 1 0
fishugly
Well, I did the dying yesterday. I was successful on the yellow pack with a bit of violet mixed with black dye. However, on my green and black pack (mixing scarlet with black)... the green did not go completely black. Instead, it is the same green...just a bit darker with a black tint to it.

Would you suggest I have another go at it just using black dye? Double the black dye? Or should I mix up another batch of scarlet and black but use more scarlet this time around?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes I would add more scarlet.  You can just dye with the scarlet unless you think it overall isn't dark enough.  If it seems dark enough, and just too green, scarlet only.  
Quote 0 0
fishugly
Thanks!
Quote 0 0