Martindrengen

Hi. I'm working on a project where I'm building a flightstick for modern day systems using an old controller. This had some light gray rubber parts that I wanted to dye gun metal gray instead.

I bought the iDye Poly Gun Metal pack and did the following:

I got the water boiling and dissolved the color powder and color intensifier. After this was completely dissolved I added the rubber parts and stirred constantly for 30 minutes.

After I got the parts out I rinsed them well in cold water, but I found that they were not gun metal at all, they are jet black?!

Now, this isn't that much of a problem as I will be painting the controller black anyway, but it wasn't really the color I wanted. At least the color is super uniform and nice.

But what did I do wrong here? I did everything according to the package as far as I can tell.

Was this a manufacturing error (black instead of gun metal)? Should I not have used the color intensifier? Should I not have added the entire package?

I think this product worked well all things considering, and I might use it again. But I would like to make sure that I don't make the same mistake twice. Next time black might not be acceptable 😃

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI,

The one where you said, "should i not have added the whole package", that was where you went wrong.  It is waaay too much dye.  Even if you were to weigh it, it is less material needed.  The reason is because on a shirt or other fabric, the dye penetrates and the surface area of the poly is so much greater than on a solid object.

You probably need about 1% or less by weight as compared to 4% by weight for fabric.  So that is why we say 1-3 lbs for fabric.  For you that would be 4x, so 1 pack for these parts would do 4-12 lbs of parts.   You probably didn't even have 1 lb of material.  Is the color rubbing off?  That would be what I was worried about here.  
Quote 0 0
Martindrengen
Okay that's good to know 😃 I just assumed that the maximum color would be a dark gun metal gray, and I didn't want to risk non uniform results.

The color did rub off for a few days, but I left the parts in hot water with some dish soap and they have now stopped feeling sticky to the touch.

I am confident that this will turn out well in the end. Thank you for your reply 😃 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yeah so that stickiness is called "crocking" and that means the dye you used is waaay to concentrated.  You can avoid it by using less dye.  I don't know the exact amount to suggest.  You might try using very little and working your way up rather than trying to go down.  You can always dye it darker, it is tougher to get the excess dye off.  

Soda ash or oxy clean are very good for getting that excess dye off.  
Quote 0 0