ajespley
Hi.  New to using poly dye.  Has anyone ever dyed a gum Coloured rubber sole for a trainer.   I’ve heard of it being done but wandered if anyone had any experience or tips.  
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I haven't done a gum sole.  The deal is that pure rubber is not going to color properly most likely.  It is just too hydrophobic(water repelling).  Some people dissolve the poly dye in acetone and paint it on.  That can work.  Otherwise you need to place it in boiling water with the dye.  Be careful it can be rough on the glue that holds the shoe together.  

Really those clear soles to shoes are the ones that dye well. The others all can take color a little bit, but aren't great.
Quote 2 0
ajespley
Thanks.  I’ll look into the acetone method.  This is the colour.  Bottom one needs to be closer to the original sole. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
So, you want the white sole to be the same color as the gum sole?  The brown Idye poly is a yellowish brown, so I bet that is the color you would get.  The white will dye somewhat.

I use 25% water 75% acetone and then the dye.  
Quote 0 0
ajespley
Thanks.   The sole is actually a light beige in colour it looks lighter in the picture. Do you add all the dye and is there a waiting time between coats ?   Thanks 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
You are not going to need the full dye amount.  For something like this you might need 1/4 of the powder.  Carefully cut open the packet inside and use a small amount in 1/4 cup of acetone.  People like to let it dry completely before the 2nd coat.  You might need 6-10 coats
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Oh also, the color is super strong.  You don't need it that dark.  Start with maybe 1/8 the amount of dye as comes in the packet
Quote 0 0
ajespley
Thanks. That’s all very helpful.   Will the base of the sole be affected by wear ?  
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yeah 100%.  There is no way to get that dye to penetrate all the way through the rubber.  Underneath it is still the same color, so if you plan on wearing these a lot, you will need to re-dye them.  The good news is that the dye is very stable in this mix and it can be kept indefinitely.  
Quote 0 0
ajespley
Ok thanks.  Good to know.  If the soles were dipped and left to steep in a mixture would it allow the dye to penetrate a bit more in to the gum sole ? 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I would doubt it.  I have heard of people that didn't want to use heat and so they keep it warm, but not hot and they leave it overnight to get better color, but really if water can't penetrate in, it isn't going to color it and rubber is 100% waterproof.  
Quote 0 0
ajespley
Tried on an old pair first.   It’s very dark.  If I use less will it be lighter in colour ? 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes, it will.  I am sorry I didn't mention it.  The dye is meant for super porous large surface area fabric.  It is much more absorbent and can hold more dye.  The solid objects require much less dye like 4x less.  You should probably use about 1/10 the amount of dye you used in this picture.  Keep practicing on the old one until you  get the color you like.  

Sorry, I didn't say that.  It can be hard to tell you everything you need to know for these non-standard uses.  
Quote 0 0