detobias detobias
I dyed some beautiful brown velvet with idye poly brown, orange, black and after rinsing it was a chocolate brown. After 10 min in dryer it was a very dark green (beautiful but not brown). I have used your dyes for many years and have never seen a change with drying. Was it the heat? I can't seem to send the pix.  [image]
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes it is the heat.  It is activating the poly dye and giving you a different mix.  My guess it is the black.  I might pull back on that.  

Have we talked about doing a post treatment scour?  Sometime people do a hot wash with soda ash to remove any un-set dye in the fiber.  That strips away the dye sitting on the surface that could change color when heated.  It is supposed to add brightness to the piece because the unreacted dye tends to dull it, but in your case it could keep it from changing color.  I am really surprised it changed color with only the heat from the dryer.  It must have gotten pretty hot.  I knew an iron could do that, but the dryer is a surprise.  
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
And only this time. Strange. Please explain the scour. 
I believe I tried it without the colorfast problem with red and it didn’t help but worth a try again. 
I have been overdyeing my red with half crimson/half red and it it gorgeous but still bleeds 😞
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The true scour is boiling with a cup of so of soda ash for 10 minutes.  You can also do a hot wash.  The point is to remove the "crocked" layer of poly dye on the outside of the fiber.  It is supposed to brighten the dye job up.  
Quote 0 0