Cultofmara
Hi- can you advise on fabric preparation? Most silks are treated with sizing before they are sold, making the finish somewhat “slick” and clean. I like the look of washed silks- georgette, light weight charmeuse and even habotais. I know this from my background in fashion and printing + washing yardage.

I used Jacquard silks on chiffon 20 years ago in art school, hand painting.  They looked nice but after a year or so the dyes hardened the fabric, they became crisp and discolored and the project was destroyed. Do you think this has something to do with the dye or wash process? I didn’t wash the fabric before painting, or rinse after. I don’t remember if I steamed to set these, have you ever had this happen? I want to try again and curious how to keep fabric softness and transparency. Thank you!!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Our scarves are PDF, Prepared for Dyeing.  So there is nothing on them, they have just been cleaned as far as prep.  

Can you post photos?  You were using paint or dye?  Dyes don't usually do that to silk, so I am guessing your were using a paint?  Damage to the silk like that is usually from an alum treatment, or from high pH conditions?  
Quote 0 0
Cultofmara

Hi. Thanks for your reply. 

The silk I used 20 years ago was purchased at retail, it’s likely it had sizing treatment and not pfd. I have only encountered pfd fabrics in my career as a fashion designer at the wholesale level. Good to know you guys offer these fabrics ready to dye. 

It was definitely dyes, as I prefer the transparency and watercolor nature of those to paints. 

I will try on pfd next time.

thank you 

Quote 0 0