Random
Hi, I've just acquired a new fur felt hat, but I don't like the colour, does anyone know what type of dye would be best.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Kristiup
I have used the acid dye for wool and beaver based felts. There is also a chart you can use here:
https://www.jacquardproducts.com/s/Jacquard-Dye-Road-Map-2019.pdf
Quote 0 0
Random
Awesome,
many thanks, now just got to choose a colour 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
What color is it now, and where are you going?

You could also use something like Dye na flow.  It is technically a paint, but it can be used on felt like a dye, and it will be easier to keep the shape of the hat.  

One of our customers in Berlin, Mel Loebel , uses dye na flow and airfix in this way.

blue cowboy hat.jpg  olive hat.jpg 

This is a pretty easy process.  Mix airfix(so you son't have to heat set) into dye na flow and paint it on.  Then it is done, and you don't have to immerse in water.  
Quote 1 0
Kristiup
I work for a milliner so we have the equipment to shape the hat after dying the felt.
I do agree with the admin’s concern here as immersing in an acid dye bath with destroy the shape of the hat. I haven’t tried the dye na flow product but those hats looks pretty good in the pictures. Is it tough to achieve the even tone?
Quote 0 0
Random
It's a very pale grey, reshaping the isn't a problem as I was going to re-block anyway, the price was too good to pass to get my  hands on top quality beaver felt. I'll probably use the acid dye but I will have a look at Dye na flow.
 This has been very helpful, thank you 
Quote 1 0
Kristiup

Oh cool! So your a milliner too!  I Would love to hear how things turn out for you. I can keep you updated on our process as well. I can say that the acid dyes come out very vibrant and true to color on felts. This is our first time dying a blank felt. So we are learning too. A client requested a special pink for her hat. 

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yeah, so the Dye na Flow is an unthickened paint.  It bleeds and saturates fabric instead of sitting on top, so it acts like a dye.  One of the benefits of that, is your get no brush strokes and you can get a very even color that does not fade like a dye would.  

Even if you use acid dyes, you might have cause to use Dye na flow in specific situations that call for more lighfastness.  
Quote 1 0
Kristiup
Thanks for the info!  Did you see my message about color recipes? Also I love this product website. It’s very helpful. 
Quote 0 0
Random
Not really a milliner, it's a hobby really, I will keep you posted, dye has been ordered!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Kristiup wrote:
Thanks for the info!  Did you see my message about color recipes? Also I love this product website. It’s very helpful. 

Oh you are looking for recipes using primary colors?  I have a chart I just finished, but let me see if graphics can let me post it.  They are finishing it up.  
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
Will you let us know when you have the recipes ready?  If primary colors perhaps I can adapt for idye poly colors. I have used my Primary Fusion acid dye method to get a start on coming up with recipes for poly but it often does not work well. I do tho get some interesting and beautiful results, just not expected ones!
Quote 0 0