Dianne
I was given a 5lb container of  formosul  powder and no instructions?  I have learned via the web that it is used for discharging. What is the difference between this and Thiox. It seems that it is the active ingredient in discharge paste. Any information will be helpful. Thanks

Dianne
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod

Hi, OS the big benefit of formusol is that it is stable in water.  Most discharge chemicals are not, and that is why it is used in Decolourant (our new name for discharge paste).  You can leave it in solution and it does not lose strength.  Most other discharge chemicals need to be mixed right before you use them into your screen ink for instance.  

Thiox is more generally used just in water to remove color in a bleaching bath to remove color from the entire garment.  Because Formusol is more stable in solution, you can use it in paint and thickened by itself to remove color in specific areas that you paint or print.  Otherwise they are very similar, although, they will give you slightly different results.  It is not uncommon that one discharge chemical will work and the other won't on certain colors.  

I know for instance that formusol will work to discharge Idye Turquoise, but Sodium Hydrosulfite will not.  I think thiox also won't work on that particular dye to remove it.  

Have fun with it.  I think it will be good even if it is old.  

Quote 0 0