Ariadne
Please advise me I'm desperate, I have been in hospital and have been having treatment. I have given away most of my clothing to charity. I want to dye five items of clothing true black. They have polyester, nylon, viscose elastane etc. I have tried rit with no success. I don't know how much dye to buy. I know using the cooker top is best but a friend used an old bin with boiling water. I have never used the idye synthetic before. I have read that the colour runs and doesn't last also. I have contacted jacquard idye twice with no response yet. I don't know how to use it how much to buy. Do I dye one item at a time. Colours are pink, blue and some multi colours. Thank you, grateful for any advice at all. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hi,

Dyeing black is the hardest color to dye.  You also have a mix of fibers, so you will probably need more than one dye. 

For something poly/nylon/elastane, you can just use the idye poly.  That will work on all of those.  If you have viscose in there, you need a reactive dye, so I would recommend Procion jet black using soda ash. 

You don't necessarily have to dye everything separately, but the fabric needs to move and turn over easily in the water, don't stuff it in there.  

Add Idye poly, dye intensifier, procion MX jet black into the pot on the stove.  Heat to boiling temp.  Use 1 pack of iDye black per 1lb of synthetic fiber(we say 1-3 lbs, but 3lbs will be grey 1 will get black).  Procion dye you want to use 2 tablespoons or one small 2/3 oz jar per lb of viscose.  

Once boiling, add the fiber wet.  After 5min add 1/3 cup of soda ash per gallon to fix the jet black dye.  You can also darken the black by adding 3 cups of salt.  

Boil for up to an hour to get the darkest color.  Make sure to stir frequently.

Be careful with stretchy fabrics, they can be affetced by the high temp.  It is better to keep it under 30 min for stretchy stuff.  Better than a cooler temp, which will make the poly dye very streaky.  
Quote 0 0
Ariadne
Thank you so much for your time and reply, I am not very good with technology so I apologise if this is the wrong way to reply. It sounds like a lot of work. I will need to sit quietly one day and read it all again slowly and try to understand exactly what I have to do. I'm not sure where to get all the products from. I don't think there is much viscose, mainly polyester and elastane. Maybe other fabrics. I was hoping to just use black and work out the amount for 5 items. I'm not quite sure what the other products are. I will look in depth into the information you have given me as soon as possible, I am very grateful for your time. I have to deal with some problems firstly and unfortunately a bereavement to cope with. With warmest regards and please take care xx
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I am sorry for your loss. This is a very tough time.  

This dye project really isn't as bad as it looks, but checking the fiber content on the clothing you want to dye is really important. Post bakc if you need more help.  
Quote 0 0