SophB
Hello,

I've been using these for a while with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (because that's what was suggested in tutorials) and they started out fine but now instead of getting diluted the inks sit on top of the liquid and break into little pieces.So I don't get nice flowy/blended shapes, just ugly specks and a grainy texture.

I saw here that the inks are actually Ethanol based, if I used the colour extender instead of Iso-alcohol would it stop this? I don't want to go buy it yet if there is another issue with my inks. Especially after seeing other people use them with Iso with little issue.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you 🙂
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes the isopropyl alcohol is reducing the solubility of the dye.  I know this is annoying, but it is how we get the inks so dark and wonderful.  You can only get light colors with isopropyl.  

Our clean up solution works great.  The extender will too, but that also has binder in it, so if you don't need it to stick better it may not be worth it.  

You can use denatured alcohol and some places sell rubbing alcohol that is ethanol, but regular isopropyl can be used for some things,but mixing doesn't work that well with the darkest colors, and the white really doesn't like it.  
Quote 0 0
SophB
Thanks so much! That explains why it worked OK for the coral but not for the purple and black colours. Turns out it's hard to find Ethanol rubbing alcohol in Australia, and it's expensive, so I'll try the clean up solution as a mixing agent. Cheers!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Right. I have had other people in Australia say so.  It actually varies by state here, so it is difficult to keep track of.  
Quote 0 0