RJW87
Hi
I have a black waterproof gortex coat which has a white embroidered logo on the chest. I was wondering what the best product and method of dying the logo black would be without damaging the coat?
Ideally the colour would be colourfast so if it was out in the rain it’s not going to run.
thanks for your help 
Quote 0 0
jacquardproducts

This is a very interesting challenge. It is critical to know the composition of the thread (yarn) of the logo. That would help us with the selection of dye to be used and be critical to the success of our project. For example, if the logo thread is rayon, which is most likely, then we could submerge the entire coat in a dye-bath using Procion MX or iDye Natural. The rayon would pick up the dye. The Gortex would remain unscathed. Logo dyed. Good job.

If the yarn is something other than a rayon or cotton then this gets tricky. If it is polyester then the dye-bath would be with iDye Poly. And if it is nylon, which is doubtful, Jacquard Acid Dye. We do not know how the Gortex or any of the other various parts of the coat will be affected. This may be risky and since we have only one coat to get it right, instead of dozens or hundreds, we realize certain pieces of information is critical.  

Quote 1 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The above is a good suggestion.  I think that the problem is going to be that the Gore Tex is nylon and the thread is going to be poly, and when you try to dye the thread only, you aren't going to get preferential dyeing and it will just dye the whole thing.  Sounds like it is a small area, I think I have a better idea. 

I think you should paint or just color that thread in with a marker.  

I highly recommend either Dye na flow black so you can hand paint it with a brush, or a medium Tee-juice marker to color in those threads.  Either will color it black and both should be heated with an iron to set the color.  I think this is much easier than putting the coat in a dye bath.  It will work, I have done it before.  
Quote 1 0
RJW87
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I might give the tee juice marker a go!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Definitely the easiest way to go. 
Quote 1 0
RJW87

Hi I was finally able to find a tee juice marker but I and struggling to find any instructions. If I colour in the logo, how hot does the iron need to be to heat set it? How long does the iron need to be on it? Do I just put the iron over the logo or should there be something in between the iron and the coat?

Thanks 🙂

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes, just color it in and then iron.  The marker is pretty permanent even without ironing, but ironing makes it the most washable.  

Don't heat the iron hotter than the fabric that the coat its made of.  If it is cotton you can do 300 degrees, if it is nylon, make sure to use that setting.  You don't want to melt the coat.  

A piece of paper of paper towel or copier paper over it helps.  An old cotton cloth while you iron is fine.  30 seconds.  
Quote 0 0