hoji
Hi

In the iDye instructions it says at the end to "cool slowly" then wash with mild detergent. How slow is is slow? Can you just leave it in the pot of water until the water cools?

I received my iDye poly and natural dyes to dye some blended material and I'm looking forward to "my first time" 🙂
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hi.  The gradually cool the fabric, is not really important for Poly blends, but if it contains spandex, it will help keep its shape.  So the point is not to throw a boiling hot garment into cold water.  It also helps to wash away the dye intensifier.  It has a weird smell and if you toss the fabric in cold water it can sort of trap a little of that smell in.

So that doesn't mean leave it in the dye until it is room temp, it means wash it out with hot water from the tap and gradual cool the rinses until the water runs clear and the water is cool.  
Quote 0 0
hoji
Hi

Thanks for the info. I'm not using the colour intensifier as I'm aiming at more subdued colours.

Your advice to some other people about liquifying the packets and storing them that way, and then taking very small amounts to dye things with is extremely helpful 😃
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
I have increased my cooling time to several hours or overnight then rinsing in cold. Should I be rinsing in hot then cooler. I am still having trouble getting my poly velvet to rinse clear especially with reds and now more colors as I am using more dye. I am considering not dyeing intense red in the future because of it. 
I wonder if I use less water so dye is more concentrated would help?
so two questions: rinse with hot then cold (wouldn’t that bleed more since heat sets?) and use less water?
thanks!!
Quote 0 0
hoji
Hi detobias

The other threads here suggest using very tiny amounts of dye since the whole packet can dye a certain weight of material. It is likely what you are dying is only a fraction of that weight so you should use less than a full packet. Other threads also say that polyester does not need much dye to - really that it cannot absorb much dye - so very little is needed to colour it. I think that is the problem, not the cooling but Jacquard will know for sure.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Rinsing with Oxyclean or soda ash can help too.  A high pH cleaner can strip the dye that is not fixed in the fiber away.  It can actually lead to brighter results too as that excess dye on the outside can actually dull the color.  
Quote 0 0