dexter
Hello I followed the Jacquard online recipe for how much dye to use when stove top dying wool. And even used less than they recommended. And my sweater still turned out WAY TOO DARK. Is there a way to lift some dye out? Thank you very much in advance for your advice. Dexter
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Wool is probably the most unpredictable fiber.  How well it dyes can even depend on the sheep's diet.  Which color did you use?

The way to lighten it up is to use a smaller than recommended amount of color remover.  I think the Packet on the idye rack is enough, but you could get the small 2 ozz bottle.  I would use a teaspoon in hot water on the stove.  Essentially the same as the dye process.  Put the wool in there wet.  If you need to lighten further after the initial amount, predissolve in hot water instead of adding the powder to the bath.  Adding powder to the bath is more likely to get uneven removal.  

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/color-remover
Quote 0 0
dexter
I used Navy and Sapphire. I did aim for a navy sweater (and I added the sapphire to warm the hue a bit) but it came out black. Thank you very much for your advice. I will try it...
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I'm honestly a little surprised the color came out so dark.  How long did you leave it over the heat?  
Quote 0 0
dexter
The prescribed time. As I recall, about 30 or so minutes before vinegar addition and then about 45 after at just below 180 degrees
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
That is a long acid dye and might be why it got so dark.  Usually 10 min then the vinegar, and then another 20-25 to complete a medium shade
Quote 0 0