detobias detobias
I want to use the spot dye technique we use on wool with acid dyes with my poly velvet using smaller amounts of water than I can other ways. The goal is to spit dye with several dyes intensely.  How safe would it be to use idye poly in a steam table pan with water under a aluminum foil base and velvet on top with dye. 
Since the reaction is a gas exchange would this be safe for my oven where I cook food. If so 275 for 10-15min? 
Thanks!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
You are right about the gas process.  The worry here is that you have a lot of plastic stuff above the stove and that the gaseous poly dye may dye it as steam.  That is not impossible, and I have gotten customers very angry after they let their Idye poly solution boil too violently it caused little spots on their kitchen hood or dyed their fan.  It's not dangerous, it isn't poisonous, but it could be messy.  
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
-What plastic in the oven?
-Are you talking about the top of the oven?
-A steam pan is pretty deep and I would layer aluminum foil between layers and water under the bottom sheet to allow heat from steam but less water. 
-Would microwave be safer?

-in oven how hot, how long? I don’t cook my velvet long in pots or skillet, about 5-10 min and it’s done. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
That sounds fine.  I don't think I knew what a steam plate is.  I looked it up and I think you will be fine.  

The microwave is probably a bad idea.  
Quote 0 0
detobias detobias
Idea about temperature and time?
a steam table pan is what restaurants use. Various sizes stainless about 4” high. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
It should be as hot as you can get it.  You want hot dry steam.  212 or higher.  
Quote 0 0