popshopamerica
Hi All,

I am having issues with all the supplies in my indigo dye kit. The indigo is not dissolving completely but instead it remains in small granules sunk to the bottom. The reducing agents are not changing it green. Instead it is remaining blue.

I am thinking it's a shelf life issue. Do you have any information on how long Indigo Dye lasts in its packaging? What about after you open it?

As much information as can be provided is helpful.

Thank you so much!
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hi,

It is the reducing agent, sodium hydrosulfite that is in danger of degradation.  I have used very old indigo of ours with no issue.  The thing with the Sodium Hydrosulfite is it is a reducing agent and oxygen is what will deplete it. So, especially if you store the reducing agent in something that is not airtight you will have issues.  It is degraded when left open.  Now, some indigo crystals will not turn green no matter what.  Our indigo is about 60% reduced and it goes to around 80 when working well.  So, the reducing agent by itself can't reduce something that isn't already pre-reduced.  If the dye itself has been exposed to air or water, it is possible to lose potency over time.  

Still 2 years is no problem.  You will see lighter colors after 5 years.  10 years and the kit can probably still be used, but needs new reducer. 

You can replace the reducer by buying sodium hydrosulfite in bulk. We sell it in pounds or in a single dose for Idye as color remover.  Our color remover is only about half of the Sodium Hydrosulfite, so if you use that instead of the pure stuff, double the dose.  
Quote 0 0
popshopamerica
Great tips! Thank you.
Quote 0 0
popshopamerica
Follow up:

If you open a reducing agent package don't use it all and want to extend its life as best as possible, would you recommend a glass container? Using a food saving and removing as much air as possible? Any advice is helpful.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes, or a tupperware type containers.  You can tape up the bag too, but I would try to make it airtight.  
Quote 0 0