Papapeter
I am indigo dyeing canvas sneakers (Chucks) and wanted to find out if there is anything I need to do post dyeing. Just rinsing? Fixing with a vinegar/water solution? Any suggestions? THANKS!
Quote 0 0
Mossmilldesign
Indigo has a tendency to "crock"- think of new jeans that can rub against another clothing item and leave a blue mark on it- sometimes on your skin- although modern denim made with polyester (yuck) doesn't tend to have that characteristic. 
I wash all my indigo dye projects in synthrapol and hot water after dyeiing and rinsing to make sure I get the excess indigo out. If you're dyeing your kicks a really dark indigo and dip them multiple times in a new vat, you probably want to make sure you rinse them really, really well- because feet have a tendency to sweat anyway, you could end up with blue feet or socks.  I've never indigo dyed kicks - but have had crocking from 99% cotton denim on a tan suede jacket, and was able to remove the blue dye from my jacket easily with suede cleaner.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes crocking is an issue as is cleaning the areas that are not dyed. I might consider taping off the sole.  Any metal parts are fine, but anything you don't want dyed that has texture could stain easily.

I will say that I have been recommending a vinegar rinse lately because someone was really having crocking trouble and that seemed to help quite a bit.   So initially 2 cups of vinegar in a gallon of water to readjust the pH back down and tighten the fiber.  Then, absolutely lots of soap, synthrapol if you can, and rinse rinse rinse.  

Crocking of course is mots likely to happen when you dip many many times and get a really dark denim color.  

This post makes it sound harder than it is. I don't think you will have any trouble.  
Quote 0 0
Papapeter
Thanks! I have given the sneakers 3 or 4 dips to get them as dark as I can, knowing that there will be a lot of fading. Less concerned with the crocking on the rubber, kind of like it actually! I gave the rubber a light sanding actually so that there was hopefully a bit of "tooth" that the indigo could grab onto (don't know if that's a "thing", but I like the character). I will definitely give them a vinegar rinse, don't have any synthrapol.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Great.  Regular soap should be ok. I have heard Ivory is pretty good for this.  

Just an FYI.  Indigo is really lightfast.  SO it doesn't fade much in light, it is usually the washing that does it.  So projects on fibers that won't be washed much will last a really long time.  Pillow shams shoes etc are going to look great for ages.  
Quote 0 0