siriwars siriwars Show full post »
[Deleted User] [Deleted User]
Dear Nee,

Thank you so much for sharing your results! I have had great success microwaving not only silk with Acid dyes, but also cottons with Procion MX.
I am going to throw out some cautions - as always it is a good idea to dedicate utensils to dyeing, including the microwave used for setting. Always make sure your fabrics are wet/damp. And most important, ALWAYS remain in the same room with the microwave during the setting. One small microwave fire has made me the Smoky Bear of the dye lab!

annette
Quote 0 0
ROXANNA ROXANNA
I have also had great success using the microwave! But using the Jacquard green label dyes only and painting on wet silk with vinegar and water. I made sure the silks were dye set with and dried first, and not trusting that method alone went ahead and tried steam setting in the microwave. I rolled the silks in paper towels, making sure the paper towels were spritzed with water. I used lots of paper towels, two layers below, one layer on top, then rolled up not too tight and very carefully to avoid wrinkles. Then I rolled another layer of paper towels from end to end this time. I placed the silk package on top of an upside down glass loaf pan inside a glass oblong dish. I then placed another wad of paper towels on top of the silk package, loosely placed a small piece of aluminum foil (yes, that's right!) over the top, like a tent, and covered it tightly with plastic wrap. I set the microwave for 3 minutes, turning the dish around after the first three, and continued for another 3 minutes. BWAH LAH! Perfect. I got a few wrinkles that easily steam ironed out right after I took it out of the microwave. Yes, do watch your cooking time, I made a mistake and gave my package an additional 3 minutes (9 altogether) and Yikes!!! That one went into the trash. Oh well, LOL.
Quote 0 0