epsychedelicdye
HI! I am a beginner tie dyer. I have created a few really vibrant tshirts using Procion Mx Dyes. 

I am interested in doing a tie dye, but keeping a large logo/picture in the center of the white shirt without any tie dye. How do I use Jacquard water-based resist to accomplish this? There are very few instructions on the bottle. 

My main concern is the process. I apply the resist and wait for it to dry. I will then soak the shirt in warm water and soda ash, then start the dye application process. Will the warm water/soda ash soak and the damp tie dye process cause the resist to melt and become less effective?

I have been folding my shirts in half vertically to create a symmetrical look. Has anyone figured out a genius way to accomplish a resist logo in the front of the tshirt and still have a symmetrical look? 

Thank you for your time in advance!
Quote 0 0
Ivy Ivy
The only waterbased resist that might be able to stand up to such a wet dye application is Jacquard's Resistad - especially if you iron it to make it "temporarily permanent" - ironing Resistad activates it's hydrophobic qualities and makes it even more resistant to liquid erosion. It will still wash out at the end but it's the next best thing to wax. Another option is to use a screen printing ink - heat set it before doing your soda soak. As for getting symmetry this is the video that changed everything for me - 

I hope it helps.
Quote 1 0
epsychedelicdye
Thank you for your suggestion of Jacquard's Resistad. I will check it out.

Another idea..Has any one had any luck using electrical tape as a resist on both sides of the logo? 

Yes this is my favorite tutorial! I have watched this tutorial several times and have created some really good results. Thank you Crispy!!

Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I wrote a response to this last night that seems not to have shown up.  The gist of it was, why not gather the area you don't want to have color on, and tie it up.  You could tie it with rubber bands and then place a plastic bag over it.  That way the dye never touches that area instead of having to protect that area.
Quote 0 0
epsychedelicdye
Thank you for your reply!! The rubber bands idea is awesome and so simple. I completed a piece yesterday with clips and it was relatively effective.

I'm basically following Crispy's tutorial above. After I place the dye on the backside of the t-shirt, I wait 3 hrs then, I will flip it over and place the lighter colors on the front side wait another 2-3hrs. During that latter period of time, the colors started running into the said area. The result is still visually appealing.  
Quote 0 0