Sandrajoy
I am having problems with my varnish. All the advice seem to say that you spray your alcohol inks with a couple of coats of Kamar varnish and then you can add more layers on top without disturbing the ones underneath. I have been doing this but when I add more ink and blending solution on top, the varnish starts peeling off. Also - I have found that when my work has been sprayed with two coats of Kamar and a couple of coats of Krylon UV Resistant varnish (which is supposed to be permanent acrylic), the varnish can still be removed by adding ethanol. This is not very good if works are to be sold framed but without glass, which is what I do. I tried the Keilty layering solution and that peeled off also. I need a finish that is permanent so my works won't need glass. I paint on wooden boards. Help please.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod

I have never ever hear this.  How long are you waiting until you seal?  Maybe your ink is till drying?

Please give a full procedure, so we can see if you are doing something that is making it peel.  

I haven't done much on wood.  Is there anything special about the wood?

Quote 0 0
Sandrajoy
Okay - well I usually leave my inks to dry for a few days (sometimes longer) and then I apply two coats of Kamar varnish with at least two hours in between coats (which is what it says on the can). Sometimes I may go back and do a bit more work in some areas and if I do this I apply another couple of coats of Kamar on the new parts. After another couple of days I apply two coats of UV Resistant varnish. If I then discover that I need to touch up a bit somewhere I may go back in and rework and then I have to apply more varnish on these bits. You may be thinking I have too many coats of varnish but the peeling happened to me yesterday with a work on yupo and I only had two coats of Kamar on that one - nothing else. The work had been sitting with the Kamar on it for at least  two weeks, so it should have definitely been dry. I dropped some ink and blending solution into a small area and it peeled.
Quote 0 0
Sandrajoy
PS If I pick up the edge with my fingers, It comes off in sheets like plastic wrap.
Quote 0 0
Sandrajoy
Also, about the wood. If just using wood or canvas, I coat it with two or three coats of acrylic paint. I also use the inks on encaustic and if that is the case I use about four layers of wax before adding my inks.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Oh it could easily be the wax if these are waxed.  Wax is really incredibly difficult to seal.  Is their wax on the paintings that are peeling?  Think about it this way.  What is the best varnish for encaustic artists?  
Quote 0 0
travellight27
I work with encaustic from time to time.  I've never know wax to require a sealer (if it's just wax).  The wax itself is a sealer.
Quote 0 0
cheryl
I could be wrong, but it sounds like the alcohol is the solvent for the Kamar varnish.  I would wait until you are completely finished to spray and seal your pieces. I have been using Krylon uv resistant spray as kind of a working sealer (to preserve what I've done so far), and haven't had any problems. I believe I've worked into it afterwards as well.  you might try contacting Golden? they have a tech support line that is excellent. ‭(888) 397-2468‬. see if they have any suggestions.
Good luck! we try so hard to make our work sturdy and archival- few realize how much extra time it takes! 
Quote 0 0
Sandrajoy
Thank  you very much Cheryl - I might contact Krylon also. They seem quite helpful as well.
Quote 1 0