Sandrajoy
I’m currently working on a painting and have laid down several layers of alcohol ink on yupo. The ink is now quite thick on the surface - is this a problem? Also, which Krylon varnish do you recommend for the first two sealing coats before the UV coat? Many thanks.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Thick layers are not a problem, but the binder for pinata is sticky, so I would give it some time to really cure. 

The Kamar varnish is the best one to seal the inks up first.  Then any UV varnish on top of your first 2 layers.  
Quote 0 0
Sandrajoy
Thanks again.
Quote 0 0
cheryl
I adhered an alcohol ink painting on craft plastic (very similar to yupo) to a cradled wooden panel.  I wanted to brush on a clear sealer to make sure the corners would not lift, and add extra protection.  I used a golden polymer gloss medium, and got lots of crazing. Any suggestions for a heavier coating on alcohol ink paintings? the corner edges are easily caught/dont stay adhered flat. 
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
After you fix with Kama varnish, you should be able to add anything else on top of that.  So, yeah the spray isn't going to work for what you want, but you can use it as a fixative before you add your final heavy layer that will keep your corners down.  
Quote 0 0
Sandrajoy
Another question re layers please. How many can you get away with? I'm working on a piece where I have so far put down 3 layers of alcohol inks with 3 layers of Kamar varnish (2 coats) in between. I still want to keep working on it - how far can I go with the layers of ink and varnish? Many thanks.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
I don't know that there is a limit.  You should be able to keep going. I do think it is more likely to flake off  with lot of layers.  As long as the final product isn't handled a lot, you should be fine.  
Quote 0 0