SJ
Hello!

I have been trying to print light colors on dark fabric using wood blocks and procion mx dyes. However, when I print, the colors do not show up or barely show up on the dark fabric. I have used ecru and golden yellow on dark grey cotton and linen fabric with the same results. My print paste consists of sodium alginate+urea and my dye concentrate is dye powder+urea water. My fabric is treated with soda ash. I would be grateful for suggestions/advice on how to make my light colors appear "as is" on my dark fabric.

Thank you in advance!

Best,
SJ.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
This is not impossible, but it takes a lot more work.  Dyes are transparent by nature, and light colors never show up on dark fabrics.  You have to use a color remover if you want to dye something dark with a light color.  It's why if you dye a black shirt yellow you at best get a yellowish black.  This is one of the major differences between a dye and a paint in general.  

So the way to do this with dye is to remove the color with the stamp first and then print over it with the dye.  I would print using our decolourant paste 

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/decolourant

Shoudl print on well, and then you use a steam iron to remove the background color in the areas you want to print.  Then you would print the dye again.  That is pretty hard to register, I don't know if you have a method for that.  The other alternative is to dye the whole thing in an immersion dye at that point and the areas where the color has been removed will take the light color and the rest will not be very noticeable.  

The easier way to do this is to use dye na flow.  Dye na flow acts like a dye, but is in fact a paint that is touchless and will not be bleached by the decolourant paste.  So, you can mix it in directly with the decolourant paste to get golden yellow or evru(both colors also in the dye na flow line) and then when you heat set the transparent color will really pop out.

That is the easiest/fewest steps option.  There isn't another better way to get light colors on a dark background with transparent colors.  
Quote 0 0
SJ
Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply. I might go with dye na flow. I looked up the instructions - I assume I can adapt the Resist technique for printing with wood blocks? Can I apply the dye na flow + decolourant mix with a sponge onto to the wood block and print on dry cloth? Thanks in advance.

Best,
SJ
Quote 0 0