Dye O'Nysus
I've not got the coat yet, so I can't tell you what it's made of, but it's not expensive so I expect it'll be 100% polyester.

I want the colour to end up vibrant, so I'm a little wary of using iDye Poly because another post on here recommends boiling faux fur for no longer than 20 minutes, and I'm not sure that'll be long enough to get a true colour. I've certainly seen a YouTube video of someone trying to dye a white faux fur coat bright orange using iDye Poly, and hers ended up a light peach colour. I mean, I could always do it more than once, but that seems like a lot of hassle.

Besides, I've never worked with faux fur before and other sources online suggest that it's not a good idea to get it that hot at all.

The other thing I've seen suggested is using Dye Na Flow and Airfix. My ideal end result actually has the coat have a gradient from one colour to another, so being able to paint the dye on might be even better. I can even create a cool effect by painting with one colour and then doing the "roots" another. I'm sure this'll take longer, but might end up better over all if the fabric dyes properly.

My questions, though, are as follows.

Are there any materials that the faux fur could be made out of that Dye Na Flow won't work on? Would brushing the fur as I'm going make the dye less likely to take? As it's a trench coat, how much dye am I likely to need? And will using the Airfix mean that the dye won't come off if the coat gets wet at all? Will it matter if I get caught in the rain wearing it? Can I put it in the washing machine if it gets dirty?

I'm completely new to dying, so please explain like I'm 5 years old.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
You absolutely have to figure out what it is made of first.  That girl who dyed the coat orange did not have a polyester coat, it was acrylic.  Idye poly works on acrylic just a little bit for pastel colors.  For Acrylic you can use Basic dyes at a lower temp and get a great result.  

Check this acrylic coat out that I dyed with basic dyes.   https://www.instagram.com/p/BpP5hAaF9hn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

You cannot do that with Idye poly on acrylic.  IF the coat is polyester, which is totally possible, Idye poly is a great choice and you will get a strong  beautiful color.  It won't be as bright as basic dye on acrylic because Basic dyes are the brightest dyes that exist.  

So if you want to truly dye it, then I highly recommend finding out the fiber before you buy it.  Also, polyester should hold up fine to a boil, it is the acrylic that won't hold up and that is ok because Basic dyes do not need boiling water, just steamy hot water.  

Last, yes Dye na Flow and airfix work great.  You can totally paint faux fur with it, and because both of those other methods are hot, it will be easiest to do multiple colors by painting it with Dye na flow.  

Be careful, take it slow, and start in an inconspicuous area until you get the hang of it.  You really don't want the hairs to clump together while painting.  Make sure you let it cure for 3-5 days afterward so the airfix can do its thing and the paint is durable before wearing.

Quote 0 0
Dye O'Nysus
Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, my plan is to buy the coat and then figure out what dyes I need.

But, just to be clear - once the dye is dry/fixed in every one of these cases the dye shouldn't come off, either from rubbing against other things, or from getting wet? I just want to be sure that I'm not going to make something that looks good for a week.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
It won't come off in a week.  The basic dye is pretty permanent on acrylic and has better lightfastness than on other materials.  Still, basic dye shouldn't be left in direct sun for hours upon hours.  

The thing to watch for with the poly dye is to not use more than the weight of the coat.  We suggest 1 packet for every lb of fabric.  If you use 2 packets for 1 lb, it will be more than you need and can rub off.    So try to weigh it first.  I can help you fix that though if we need to.  Let us know what the content of the coat is!
Quote 0 0
Dye O'Nysus
My main question is still about water. If I were to use the Dye Na Flow and Airfix on polyester, how much of a problem would accidentally getting caught in the rain be? Will I be able to put it in the washing machine regularly?

I'm less inclined to use the Poly dye (assuming, of course, that the coat is poly) because it would require me to buy something large enough to boil it in, boiling it could potentially damage it, and it would be much more difficult (and potentially dangerous) to try for a gradient which means I'll likely just go for a solid colour instead. I'm almost certainly not going to use basic dye because, as I understand it, it'll affect the container which then can't be used for anything other than dying.

So my ideal solution is to use Dye Na Flow, but it's going to be a balance in my mind between what is the easiest to accomplish, what will get the best results, and what is going to end up creating the most practical garment. I'll need to assess all three of those factors before coming to a decision about what method to use.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The dye na flow garment will wash ok.  It is possible you would lose some colro if you washed it a lot, but it would be alright.  Rain would be no issue whatsoever.  
Quote 0 0
Dye O'Nysus
That's awesome. Thanks.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Wash in cold water!
Quote 0 0
Dye O'Nysus
I thought I'd written an extra reply to this, but apparently not.

My coat has arrived, and it's 100% acrylic, which simplifies things. I think I'm still going to be using Dye-Na-Flow, simply because it's the easiest way I can think of to get a gradient. My plan is to fade pink to blue.

My question is how easy that will be to achieve. If I paint one colour and successfully manage to make it fade out, then paint the other colour then will the two dyes mix where I've painted with both? Will they be likely to create a gradient, or is it likely I'll end up with a bit in between that's darker than either colour to either side?

Perhaps I'm being a bit ambitious for my first go at dying, but if I get it right and what I want to do is possible, then it'll look awesome.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
They layer really nicely and transparently.  You can definitely get a gradient that way.  Just take it slowly and get the hang of it before you go crazy.  Don't forget the airfix!
Quote 0 0
Dye O'Nysus
Awesome, thanks. 

I'll order the dyes tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Quote 0 0