ldenton1011
Please Help, I have this dream of having a booth at a Christmas Faire in which I sell my marbled scarves, bags, and offer people the opportunity to make their own, 'one of a kind', marbled object.  So I bought the paint, size, alum, and made a large vat in which to do my marbling.

Day 1 - I washed the scarves, soaked them in alum, let them dry and ironed them.  I mixed the size, Carrageenan blender type, and let it set overnight.

Day 2 - Got up early excited to start my project.  Using the Jacquard paint I added my first color to the size.  The paint went directly under the size and stayed there.  I tried other colors and they did the same thing. Frustrated I went back to all the YouTube video's and researched to find out what I had done wrong.  I threw out the size and mixed another 4 gallons using hot water and let it set overnight.

Day 3 - The Carrageenan was the consistency of Jello that had not fully congealed but the paint did not flow to the bottom and it spread nicely. However, when pulling up the scarf a great deal of Carrageenan  was stuck to the silk.  I added almost a gallon of water to the carrageen and mixed it with my hands. It was exciting to see the colors spread and create my patterns.  I carefully laid my silk on top of the paint, let it sit for a few minutes making sure the entire surface was covered, pulled it out and rinsed it off.  All the paint came off and I was left with an extremely light image of what I had started with.  I dyed 6 more scarves, silk and cotton.  I did not rinse these and let them dry.  After they were dry I ironed them to set the paint and rinsed.  Again I was left with extremely faded color and my silk and cotton and cotton are both extremely stiff.

Day 4 - Lost, not sure what to do next.  I can see from other posts that others have used the Jacquard paints and had very good luck.  I live on the Central Coast of California and the weather has been in the 70's. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  

Please help....Linda
Quote 0 0
ldenton1011
Just realized I soaked the scarves in Soda Ash before marbling not Alum.  I'm  used to using that with the other Jaquard dyes.  Could that be the reason why the paint didn't stick to the silk and cotton?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes 100%.  The alum is very important.  You can marble some really absorbent fabrics that are "thirsty" without alum, but I don't recommend it.  You just keep much more color with the alum.  I am not for sure because i haven't tested it, but it is possible soda ash actually hurts the adhesion. Especially because it cakes up on the surface.  It is like painting a really dusty wall.  

I recommend not rinsing immediately.  I think you can't do that without losing color.  

Also, experiment with alum amounts. I Started using 2 teaspoons per gallon instead of 2 tablespoons per gallon alum and it made my paint stick better.  There is a sweet spot for every fabric.  Like you need less for thin silks than thicker ones.  

Not surprised by this result at all.  Keep working on it.  Marbling is not always easy, but is very satisfying once you get a handle on it.  

Quote 0 0
ldenton1011
Thank you so much for your fast response.  I can't believe I made such a mistake but I'm used to presoaking before using the dyes.  I'm starting over tomorrow and looking forward to getting the results.  I want to get this mastered so I can share it with others.  
Quote 0 0