Janet m
hi I think I may have used idye poly on pure silk.  What should I expect.

also it would be perhaps for this kind of mistake not to happen if the packages looked different.  Just thinking.

thanks in advance for any help 

janet
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
HI Janet,

Polyester dye doesn't work at all on cotton, but actually works quite well on silk, just as it does on nylon. (the chemical structure of nylon and silk are not that different)

So the good news is that, the dye works.  It is similar to Idye natural in vibrancy, so there is nothing that you have to do.  This is a legit way to dye a silk scarf, but almost no one does it because you have to boil the scarf and there are lower temp options for silk like Idye natural or acid dyes.  

Removing the dye may be difficult.  You might be able to with a soda ash scour, but I am not sure it is necessary.  The only real drawback is that the color may not be as vibrant as it would be if it were an acid dye, which are the best dyes for silk.  It should be pretty durable and lightfast.  

I totally agree on the packaging being different.  The poly packages have the little grey block on them and always have, but I also pushed to have the gradient along the side of the packaging to be added to differentiate from the IDye natural.  Those are being rolled out right now.  
Quote 0 0
Janet m
Thank you for the valuable advise. One thing thou, because I thought I was using idye natural I would have used citric acid crystals as I do in acid dyes for silk. Would that have any impact?
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
The citric acid won't do anything to polyester dye.  It won't help, but it won't hurt either.  The chemistry of the Poly dye is just so different, you wouldn't believe me if I told you.  The dye doesn't even notice the citric acid.  
Quote 0 0
Janet m
Super thanks for the help.
Quote 0 0