Myworldisjam
Please Help....I have a running skirt that I love and I dyed it brown but it came out exactly olive green.  I really need it brown.  The skirt is poly and I used the brown iDye Poly and kept it in the water for about 45 minutes.  This is the first thing I have every dyed.  Could someone please help me with detailed instructions on how to get this brown.  Thank you. (the color of the string is the color I would like the skirt to be) IMG_20190722_092746.jpg
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Hello,  

Yes this is too green.  The poly dyes are occasionally unpredictable.  It has to do with the different type of polyesters and how porous they are.  As you can see the nylon parts of your skirt took the dye perfectly, but the bulk of it did not.  The thing to do here is to neutralize that green.  So before you used the entire package of dye.  For your next dyeing you need to use less because you are "toning" your dye job.  That means you are using complementary colors to "push" the color into what you originally wanted.  

So, IF your color is dark enough you just need a red packet. IF not get a red and a brown one.  Make sure to use the color intensifier.  It is definitely important on this skirt because it is stubborn and is not accepting the full color.  

For the first option where you are happy with how dark it is, take the red packet and dissolve it in a quart or just a good size of hot hot water.  You want to dye this from 10-20%.  It's easier to dump in 20%, but it is difficult to go backwards and you might need to go get a green pack, so the safest thing is to drop in 10% and then go back and do another 10 if it does not get brown enough.  

So from your quart of dissolved red, put 1/10 of that dye into the pot and boil your skirt for half an hour again.  You put the 1/5 in if you think it is really too green.  That might be right from what I am seeing in the picture. 

The whole idea here is that red and green make brown and in your current brown it is too green, so you need red to make it a more neutral brown.  That extra leftover red will keep, so hang onto it until you get the brown you want.  You can keep doing it until you get it.  That means don't throw the bath away until your skirt is dry and is the brown you want.  
Quote 0 0
Myworldisjam
Thank you for your response.  Do I use all the red intensifier in the bath?  And if it dries and it is not the color I want, I just reboil the dye and add more red from the quart?
Thank you....this is the first time I have ever dyed anything.
Quote 0 0
Jacquardmod Jacquardmod
Yes exactly.  Keep the pot of dye until you get the color you want, and keep adding red dye as necessary.   

You did a good job, it is just that there are many different kinds of polyester.  As you see on the nylon, it took all the colors that make up the brown well and came out brown.  The poly stitching did as well.  It is just the bulk of the skirt that didn't take the red as well, so you need to use more.  This is an advanced problem, and poly is one of the harder kinds of fabric to dye.  

Don't let it discourage you.  Dyeing is awesome and can turn something you hate wearing into something you love.  It takes patience and sometimes troubleshooting!
Quote 0 0